After busily working on the binding off and on for 5 days or so I got the Star Garden complete and washed and dried. No purple bleeding – in fact the color catchers the first time came out kind of a light green color which surprised me – the second wash they came out white. This is about 70 inches square – I say about because no matter how much I tried to square it up it isn’t square. The stars are hand pieced using Inklingo, the quilt is hand quilted. I started making the stars about a year ago so I made good time on it considering I made quite a few other quilts at the same time. It took 77 hours to hand quilt and this was over a 7 week time frame, which is amazing to me, I rarely work that fast.
I used the Deluxe weight Quilters Dream batting on this one 100% cotton. The top is all batiks and the backing is a cotton of some brand I don’t remember which.
I got done with a lot yesterday – I finished the varnishing in the kitchen yesterday morning while the quilt was washing! This is one of my favorite table toppers – ignore the extra things on the table – until all the varnish in the kitchen dries the drawers for the cupboard are on the countertop and things are not put away.
This quilt was made back in 2011 – 4 years ago. We have been using it on the table off and on since then. I will fold it back when we sit down to eat and yesterday I guess I just happened to look at it differently and saw this one line of quilting missing! How odd that you can fold something back for years and all of a sudden see something missing.
Maybe you can see it missing on the orange rectangle from the front!
Now fixed!! I couldn’t wait to fix it and as soon as our evening meal was cleared up out came the thread and got it done before I forgot where it was!
This corner of Floral Fantasy got finished on Tuesday night and so the first border is now half way done.
This is where I picked up on it last night.
The light color stack of squares are squared up leaving me two more stacks to work on.
I decided to start on the applique for this 3rd Caswell Block late yesterday afternoon – I was going to bring it with us on our upcoming trip this fall to work on but decided that seeing as some of the pieces were coming loose I would leave it home instead. I discovered that using this wash away fusible makes the square a bit awkward to work with – you can not really roll the fabric up between your fingers like usual because of the stiff pieces. I really want to give this stuff a chance and see if I like it – I do like the neat appearance it gives. (I did not use it on all the pieces in Love Entwined so this is fairly new to me still). I needed to glue some pieces back down so I wouldn’t loose them and I have one stem and one leave stitched. The block is about 1 1/2 inches larger than it will be when trimmed to size – they are small blocks – it will be trimmed to 11.5 inches, I’m pretty sure I cut my block at 13 inches. I think the future blocks I will be only glue basting a few pieces down at a time which means I will have to constantly be working on placement for pieces but that might be how you have to do this kind of work.
And as if I don’t have enough to work on I am starting a winter shawl with my crochet hook. I have tried knitting with poor results and I have known how to crochet very simple, simple stitches for years and thought I would start a shawl mainly for working while Mike is driving the motorhome on our upcoming trip – sometimes I sew but over the years it has gotten harder to sew while in a moving vehicle (maybe because I’m always working with small pieces?) and I thought maybe the crocheting would work better. I thought I would get started on it though just so it is easier to hang on to rather than start it while traveling. A bigger piece to hold in my mind is easier. I also want to see how far the first skein of yarn goes so I can try to figure out how much I will need and be able to purchase the rest before we take off. I am making this up as I go – no pattern. This yarn is about 56% wool and 44% polyester.
I am so glad to be done with the varnishing chore in the kitchen – it was a pain in the butt – not my favorite thing to do. Now that it is done I can get back to my routine of exercise for an hour in the afternoon, I had been skipping that so I could get the varnishing done. Over the next several weeks I need to get more piecing blocks prepped and put in the travel box – they are the cogwheel type of block that I showed several weeks ago from the Inklingo Fancy Dresden Plate collection. I have 4 prepped but without taking the applique on the trip I thought I would get more of those blocks prepped so I would have plenty to work on “just in case” I would rather have too many along then not enough.