Garvan Woodland Gardens

by Karen on April 14, 2010

in Joseph's Coat

Yesterday for something different to do we decided to take the day off of yard work and workshop cleaning up and drove to Hot Springs.  Hot Springs is about 80 or so miles southwest from us just as everything else tends to be.  We had heard of the Garvan Woodland Gardens for a long time now but have never gone to see them.  We missed the peak of the tulip season but there were still plenty to see.  The azaleas are beautiful and so many!  So here are some photo’s of what we saw yesterday – and due to allergies and the hotter than normal weather we really didn’t see everything but will go back another time I am sure.  I have many more photos than these posted and will post a few more over the next couple days.

this azalea bud is almost double in size of the varieties that I have here at home. I could not believe how large it was.

pretty walk ways throughout the 210 acre park. I thought this bridge was so pretty, when you first come to the bridge and take a side path you don't realize what the structure of the bridge is until you go around the corner and see the tunnel through it. A pleasant surprise.

The Koi pond - they were very large and plentiful

a pretty waterfall in the pond area

a snowball tree! such a healthy plant the trunk was so big

a pretty trickling stream with a large fern at the top

I did get in one hour of quilting last night but didn’t really accomplish much with having been gone all day.  Today I am now off to the eye doctor and my eyes will be dilated – I most likely won’t get to any quilting this evening and will have my sunglasses on all afternoon!!

CJ April 14, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Isn’t that a nice day trip Karen? I have a picture of Jim and I standing on that bridge! We enjoyed the park when we went (6 or 7 years ago, we were actually still living in Missouri). We stopped somewhere in town and tried fried pickles for the first time! LOL

Hope the eyes recover quickly!
.-= CJ´s last blog ..EQ7 this summer! =-.

Karen L April 14, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Lovely photos! Wouldn’t that bridge scene make a wonderful quilt? Just a thought …….

Marianne April 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Just gorgeous! I am envious – did pick a daffodil yesterday…

Mary L April 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Beautiful! What a gorgeous place.
.-= Mary L´s last blog ..Dogwoods & Tall Ships =-.

Karen April 14, 2010 at 3:39 pm

That certainly is a pretty place. I was wondering if there are lots of mosquitos? We are already having our fair share.
.-= Karen´s last blog ..Sports… =-.

Vivian April 14, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Beautiful pictures. I think we’re planning to take the RV to Hot Springs sometime this summer. I’ll have to put that on my to do list.

The bridge picture makes me want to take my shoes off and wade through the water under the bridge.
.-= Vivian´s last blog ..Productive Evening =-.

Wanda April 14, 2010 at 5:13 pm

The Garden area is beautiful. what a huge azalea flower! I love the bridge. I love all things stone.
.-= Wanda´s last blog ..New fabric and A stroll around the yard =-.

Miriam April 14, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Beautiful photos, Karen.

I love the snowball tree.

The top photo is a Mollis Azalea, I have a couple of plants with the same coloured flowers in my garden.
.-= Miriam´s last blog ..Jacob’s Coat progress =-.

Karen April 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm

for this time of year right now I have not seen one mosquito – I haven’t been outside much though in the evening and the early morning. But I have seen none during the day – it does seem to be odd as usually we have them a lot out here – maybe the extra long cold winter has a part in it?

The bridge photo would make a lovely quilt – feel free :) I don’t know if I would ever get around to it.

I didn’t see what kind of Azalea it was but if you say it is a Mollis I will believe you :)

Teri Dingler, Montgomery, AL April 14, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Gorgeous azaleas – wish I had some that size! What a wonderful day trip and break! Wonderful photography! Thanks for sharing! Teri

Tatyana April 15, 2010 at 3:44 am

Wow! Thank you so much for your beautiful pictures!
Tatyana
.-= Tatyana´s last blog ..?????-????????-?????? / Paris-Bruxelles-Brugge =-.

Crispy April 15, 2010 at 6:25 am

I love touring gardens like this, what a lovely way to spend the day :0)

Crispy