Yellowstone – Day 2

by Karen on August 6, 2010

The Brink of the Lower Falls – again I got this on video also, but no fast speed internet connection right now.  Later I will have to go back though the short videos I took and do several post on them.  Until then photos will be it.

I believe this was supposed to be a 1/2 mile to the overlooks – what they don’t tell you is it is all switchback trail going steeply down hill – which of course means uphill all the way back – I did it really slow and managed to do it and even passed up some people who kept going fast and then getting short of breath and stopping to rest.

The beginning of the trail down to the overlooks:

Part of the Canyon that you see before you see the falls:

The River:

More of the trail – see what I mean about steep!

The head of the falls – this water is moving fast and it is deep:

the water pouring over the falls:

Look at that water go – such a beautiful river too:

Look at the spray of the water as it hits the walls and the river below.  You can see green moss and grasses growing on the sides of the canyon walls from it.

Some pretty bluebells growing on the side of the overlook, clinging to the top

(written Aug. 5th evening – to be posted soon)

Becky in VA August 6, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Oh, my, gosh!!! Your pictures just keep getting better!!
That was a very steep trail – slow and steady is the way to go.

Your descriptions along with the pictures are wonderful – I LOVE the moss growing on the sides of the canyon walls – great, great pictures!

Oddbjørg Pedersen August 7, 2010 at 2:19 am

I love to follow your trip. It’s so interesting!
Thank you very much for sharing all the photos.
Have a nice weekend!
.-= Oddbjørg Pedersen´s last blog ..New month new possibilities =-.

Miri August 7, 2010 at 3:08 am

Just beautiful!
.-= Miri´s last blog ..Batik Star Quilt Top with Silk Ribbon is Finished =-.

Sequana August 7, 2010 at 6:47 am

From what I remember about walking in the mountains, going down is almost tougher on your leg muscles than going up as you try to keep from slipping down too fast.

And those switchbacks can add what seems like miles to a “short” walk. *L* I got caught in one of those trying to get to Maroon Bells at Aspen. We thought we were almost there and then looked up ahead – people were still on the switchbacks as far as we could see. We never did go all the way to the top.

I’ll be watching for your vids…..hoping to hear sounds from falls.

Jackie August 7, 2010 at 7:00 am

Yellowstone is just one of the most beautiful places. Was there as a child then as an adult and it just get more beautiful!! Thank you for the wonderful photos.
.-= Jackie´s last blog ..Black and White Inspiration Vol IV =-.

Riley August 7, 2010 at 10:43 am

What else can I say…FABULOUS!

Safe travels!