Christmas Memories – better photos

by Karen on October 5, 2010

I dragged my flimsy portable design wall outside and managed to get it set up out in the sun so I could take a better photo – remind me never to try this with a breeze again!  The quilt is called “Christmas Memories”, it was designed by Connie Sue Haidle of  Apple Blossom Quilts here is a link to her site:  http://www.appleblossomquilts.com

Now this is the proper color that the quilt is.  Here is a close up of some of the blocks and stitches:

sashing:

some of the applique:

On the red flowers and the white flowers on the border I want to add some more stitches as they are a little poufy – not a lot of stitches but a little.

Now it is time to get back to work on some other projects.  I have been selecting fabric for the next applique block that I am working on and the backing fabric arrived for the big quilt on the quilting frame so that will need to be squared up and the big quilt set up on the quilting frame.  I think I am going to set that quilt up next and then tilt the frame and stick my design wall up in front of it to get the Bow Tie Medallion quilt finished up.

Too many things going on again and I need to take a step back and breath then decide where to jump in next.

CJ October 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Fabulous! I had to laugh at you describing the breeze though, that’s why I rarely photograph outside, it’s always windy!

I was going to do some sewing today, honest! But ended up weeding more of the garden, and doing a little housework instead.
.-= CJ´s last blog ..New Pantographs =-.

GerryART October 5, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Wonderful, wonderful work, Karen.
A true treasure.
I love it.

Hugs & ???s,
Gerry
.-= GerryART´s last blog ..Tablescape =-.

Wanda October 5, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Daylight is best for the photos for sure. I have found that sometimes a flash is good to get the colors right inside too, as long as you are far enough away when you take the picture. Of course flash shots won’t show the texture.
.-= Wanda´s last blog ..A better photo =-.

LuAnn October 5, 2010 at 5:15 pm

That’s a beautiful quilt. I’ve ordered the pattern. I wish I didn’t have to sleep. Lovely hand quilting.
.-= LuAnn´s last blog ..Patchwork of the Crosses Blocks with Inklingo =-.

Miriam October 5, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Stunning work Karen!!
It is a really beautiful quilt.

Thank you for taking the quilt outside to photograph.
.-= Miriam´s last blog ..More Morrell blocks =-.

Mary L October 5, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Oh my, that is just fabulous, Karen. Fantastic job!!!!!!!!!
.-= Mary L´s last blog ..Its Fall =-.

Sequana October 5, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Hey, Karen? Don’t ever try that in the breeze again. *L*

This is soooooooooooo beautiful in real light. I had no idea from the other pics about the background color.

Lovely looking even stitches too.

Becky in VA October 5, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Your Christmas quilt is beautiful. I always think quilts look better after they’ve been washed, because it brings out the quilting.

Thank goodness for Color Catchers.

Happy quilting!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas October 5, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Karen, that is lovely, a truly beautiful quilt. Is the pattern in a book? Congratulations for another finish!!!

Jackie October 5, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Yay, so much better in the light!! Just gorgeous!
.-= Jackie´s last blog ..Blue Whirlygig =-.

Astrid October 5, 2010 at 9:52 pm

It looks much better in natural light. A gorgeous quilt! Taking photos of quilts in a breeze is a nightmare. Here it always blows, so I rarely take photos outside, except on the porch – if it is quiet there.

Bonnie October 5, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Stunning!!! Your work is wonderful. Thankyou for sharing.

Crispy October 6, 2010 at 5:57 am

WOW Karen, it is sooooo pretty!! You should put this in a quilt show IMHO.

Crispy

Tatyana October 6, 2010 at 8:53 am

Such a beautiful and interesting quilt! Great work!

Best wishes,
Tatyana
.-= Tatyana´s last blog ..???????????? ?????? – Needle roll swap =-.

Teri Dingler October 6, 2010 at 9:20 am

As usual, as with all of your work, it is breathtaking. You do beautiful work and are so quick (in my book!) with your projects! Truly encouraging to us that are a little slower!!haha -Thanks for sharing – Teri Dingler

Joyce Barham October 6, 2010 at 11:33 am

Gorgeous work, Karen! Love the colors that you chose and the quilting is exquisite. Truly a masterpiece. Joyce.

Susan October 6, 2010 at 12:33 pm

That is a heirloom quilt. How delightful to have it finished. Looks like you have plans for more wonderful finishes in the near future.
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Yesterday it Rained =-.

LeKaQuilt October 9, 2010 at 10:41 am

WOW your christmas quilt is stunning! I love the hand quilting you have done – its gorgeous quilted :o)
.-= LeKaQuilt´s last blog ..Love Letter by LeKa =-.

Jeanette Pache October 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Your email is so well put together and the quilts are just so artistic.I am quite new to patchwork and quilting and I havent as yet appliqued anything but…. watch this space as they say! Your quilts inspire me. Thank you so much for your time and trouble.

chris October 17, 2010 at 11:19 am

WOW! This quilt looks great! Congratulations Karen!
.-= chris´s last blog ..Doors and Re-Constituted Soup =-.

Clotilde M. November 11, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Really lovely work! I’m so glad you could manage to take the photo with the wind! The poinsettias look so nice agains the creamy background, just very pretty.
Clotilde M. recently posted…Spiceberry Ruffles ScarfletMy Profile