Car Accident

by Karen on December 27, 2010

Sad smile what a way to end Christmas.  Yesterday we decided to go see “True Grit” at the new movie theater in a town 45 miles from us.  It was a good movie.  On the drive home we thought to stop and get something to eat before getting home.  We were only 12 miles from home when a car hit us on the front passenger side.  Their fault not ours.  Mike is fine  – me on the other hand – I am aching and sore in the chest area.  We had our seat belts on and I didn’t fly into the windshield thank goodness, but it held me tight enough that I am very sore and have some mild swelling in the chest – breast bone area.  X-Rays were taken and they could see no break.  I was in ER for 3 hours.  They also checked my heart and all was fine.  I will just be sore for who knows how many days to come.  I’m 58 years old and other than a couple minor fender benders years ago I have never been in an accident.  Wish I hadn’t been in this one either.

Mike went to see the insurance agent this morning and then over to where they took the car to see what it looks like – it was paid for – almost 7 years old and at least 130,000 miles on it – I won’t be surprised if it isn’t totaled.

One funny thing about it all though is that the EMT that treated me at the scene and road with me in the ambulance was Larry – Vivian’s husband “Sew At Home On Pine Ridge”. I met Vivian last year (she lives about 50 miles from me) and we had been planning on having lunch this week! She had just posted a photo of her husband making breakfast Christmas morning and I recognized him immediately.  I introduced myself and my husband to him – it felt really reassuring to me even though I had never met him.  It was like I knew I was in good hands Smile

I do feel sorry for the young driver and passengers though – a young man driving must have only been about 17, his sister in National Guard uniform was with him and her 2 little kids – thankfully they were all ok and I’m sure this will have been a learning experience for him to be more careful in the future – he was crying so upset.

Well I have been up long enough and it is time to lay back down again – talk to you all later!

Marianne December 27, 2010 at 10:42 am

So sorry to hear about your accident, Karen. Just take it easy for a few days. Your whole body needs to work on getting better, so you’ll be tired. Take a couple of nice, warm baths, too.

We went to see True Grit Thurs. night and enjoyed it. The girl who played Maddie did a wonderful job. Only had to drive over to Montpelier to see it, though – 7 miles.

May New Year’s be a happy one for you – new car, perhaps?

Deana December 27, 2010 at 10:43 am

So sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you recover fully and quickly.

Best wishes
Deana recently posted…Jennies baby quiltMy Profile

Odette December 27, 2010 at 10:43 am

Querida Karen , me alegro mucho que estes bien, es cosa seria estar en medio de un accidente, que bueno que estas mejor y pudiste estar en buenas manos, Dios ha cuidado de ti y tu familia, me siento feliz por ti, ademas de que hallas usado tu cinturon de seguridad que debe haber sido de gran ayuda en que no fuera algo de mas cuidado.
Reciba un gran abrazo
Odette

Becky in VA December 27, 2010 at 10:52 am

I’m sure sorry to hear about the accident. Take good care of yourself, and don’t push to do anything. Just glad to know that you aren’t seriously hurt. What a way to meet Larry!!

Now will be a good time for you to read those new books while you rest.

Lena Karen December 27, 2010 at 10:54 am

I’m so sorry to hear about the car accident, and I’m SO happy that you and Mike is all right. Please let us know how it is going with you in the future. Hope thet you take you time to get well and alså that you get some quilting done. Hugs Lena
Lena Karen recently posted…Tilbakeblikk på 2010My Profile

Crispy December 27, 2010 at 11:12 am

Oh Karen!!! I’m so happy that everyone is ok, but I’m sure it will take you a while to get back to normal. Take care my friend!!

Gentle Hugs,

Crispy

P. December 27, 2010 at 11:13 am

So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you feel better soon, as the soreness goes away. Cars can be replaced. Take care.

Pokey December 27, 2010 at 11:21 am

Here’s to a speedy recovery! I do hope you mend well, and the car problem isn’t too big. Amazing how you crossed paths with the husband of a neighboring blogger/ quilter, too. Coincidences….
Pokey recently posted…Merry Christmas!My Profile

Vivian December 27, 2010 at 11:32 am

Hope you are resting today. Good day to relax and read. And nap along the way.
Vivian recently posted…A Quiet Christmas DayMy Profile

Sandie ~call me crazy December 27, 2010 at 11:39 am

Oh my gosh how scary!! I’m so glad everyone was ok~ no broken bones, etc. Hope you got some pain meds to get over the worst of it. {{hugs}}
Sandie ~call me crazy recently posted…Merry Christmas!My Profile

martha December 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

I am so sorry for your accident and I hope you are feeling much better soon. Take it very easy!

Susan December 27, 2010 at 1:12 pm

It is good that no one was seriously injured. I am sorry that you are feeling under the weather but glad that it is not worse.

Rest up and soon you will be stitching again.
Susan recently posted…More RearrangingMy Profile

CBH December 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I hope you feel better soon!!!!

Mary L December 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I’m so sorry but glad that you will both be okay as well as those in the other car. True Grit is a great movie, but not worth this ending! Take care of yourself.
Mary L recently posted…Better PicsMy Profile

lil red hen December 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Oh, that is a bad way to end Christmas! I’ll pass the word on to the folks here. Hope you’ll soon feel better. Charlotte

Oddbjørg Pedersen December 27, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about the accident! Take care.
Oddbjørg Pedersen recently posted…Merry ChristmasMy Profile

Caron Mosey December 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Oh, Karen!!! I’m so sorry to hear about your horrible Christmas accident. I hope you heal quickly!
Caron Mosey recently posted…A Relaxing ChristmasMy Profile

Gwynette in NW Arkansas December 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Isn’t it amazing how quilters are tied together??? After I read your email about the accident last night, I thought what a coincidence that Vivian had Larry’s picture on her blog yesterday.

I hope that you are comfortable enough to rest and nap. You showed sweet compassion for the young driver in the accident description. How fortunate there were no serious injuries, especially with the two young children involved.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Joyce December 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I’m so sorry about your accident! :( Please rest as much as you can so you heal up quickly.

Thankful you weren’t hurt any worse and that Larry was a familiar face. :)
Joyce recently posted…Merry Christmas 2010!My Profile

Yvette December 27, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your accident! Just thank the Lord you and everyone involved is doing well.
Yvette recently posted…The Most Thoughtful Gifts!My Profile

Miriam December 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Ohh my goodness Karen, what a shock!!!
I am glad you are not seriously hurt physically.

I hope the bruising and swelling heal swiftly.

Take care and rest lots.

Karen L December 27, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh Karen, what a shame that this had to happen to you! Please take care of yourself. You will probably feel more sore for a few days and then hopefully start to feel better. My neighbor had an accident and she was black and blue in the chest area because of the seat belt and air bag. Glad to hear that nothing was broken! Not a very nice Christmas present though! So very sorry!

Nedra- Cactus Needle December 27, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Oh Karen, I am so sorry to hear of your accident. How upsetting, especially at Christmas. I hope you are feeling better soon. Prayers for a speedy recovery are being sent from Utah.
Nedra- Cactus Needle recently posted…Star of HopeMy Profile

Marlene December 27, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I’m so sorry that happened but so glad you’re ok. I know you’ll be sore for a while and it will take time to do something about the car – a frustrating time. blessings, marlene
Marlene recently posted…One Thousand Blessings – Day 20My Profile

Arlene December 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Well I am glad to hear both of you are ok. accidents are not a lot of fun. Plus all the things that have to be dealt with after an accident. Hope the young man has good insurance.

I have been to many accidents being and EMT and when everyone comes out with no major injuries it is a blessing and I have a feeling you are right the young man driving will be a much more careful driver. I know my son in his first week of driving put the car in the ditch it made him a much better driver because he learn to be more cautions.
Arlene recently posted…CookiesMy Profile

Debra December 27, 2010 at 8:13 pm

So sorry to hear that you were in an accident. Lok after yourself and be prepared to be a little stiff and sore for a while. Was it Kismet that you met Larry!
Debra recently posted…Great Christmas DayMy Profile

Elzaan December 27, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Oh, Karen. I am very sorry to hear this. Take is easy for a while, and lots of baths and warm blankets…Take a lot of naps as well.
I was in a car accident as well, a year ago, and it is never nice to have an experience like this.
Hope of a quick recovery.
Elzaan
Elzaan recently posted…Geseënde KersfeesMy Profile

Regina Chronister December 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm

just wanted you to know that I have been thinking of you, hope you can recover fast.

CJ December 28, 2010 at 5:05 am

Wow Karen, that’s awful! About 12 years ago I was in a car accident that my car was totaled in. The bruising from the airbags and seat belts was quite painful and took awhile to heal. I certainly feel for you!

Try and get plenty of rest and maybe consider seeing a chiropractor to align your body back up, I’m sure the impact knocked you out of alignment!

If you need help, don’t hesitate to holler!
CJ recently posted…Pillow funMy Profile

Patchmaker December 28, 2010 at 5:09 am

Karen, I’m so glad you’re okay! Get lots of rest and feel better!

Michelle December 28, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Oh gosh, Karen, I am so sorry. Hope your recovery is speedy.
Michelle recently posted…Monday MiscellaneousMy Profile

chris January 1, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Oh my goodness! I’m so glad you are alright and continuing to improve. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a very happy New Year!
chris recently posted…Self Portrait – PixilatedMy Profile