What a Nice Day

by Karen on March 26, 2012

in gardening, quilts

Well I didn’t get done with much of any sewing today – so far!  Such good plans I made this morning – and then the sun is out and I’m outside – I appliqued a flower Smile and that was it!!  I will try to quilt a little this evening.

Two sides of the applique are now done – two more borders to go.  The sides need the work still.

And from the applique flowers I went to look at the real ones in my yard Smile Clematis

Azaleas in full bloom including the bees!

And butterflies on the red azalea – I managed to see two of them.

And I turned back to the pink ones and saw a butterfly there too.

Last spring I found a trillium in the yard right up by the azaleas and I have been looking for it again this year – I hadn’t seen it until today so I thought maybe it had died – only one but it came back.  How do they multiple?

And even though it is early – my plan this year seeing as I do believe we will be home all summer is to have some tomato plants and maybe some peppers and cucumbers – but I am going to plant them in containers.  My soil is poor, several of the tines on the tiller broke a couple years ago when we tried to till up some soil for a small garden – too many rock!  I stopped at Lowe’s this morning to get some tick killer (kills other annoying pests also) and I picked up a 5 gallon bucket and had Mike drill some draining holes in the bottom of it – and I planted a nice size tomato plant!!  I know– a little early – but it is in a container – I can move it to the house if I have to Smile  A little jump on spring.

I made an appointment to get my hair cut – I intended to do it tomorrow but she was available today so I did that and that cut in on some of my plans – then I stopped at Sonic on the way home and enjoyed a Cherry Limeade on the porch while I appliqued my flower – you can see relaxing was about all I had on my mind today –

There is always tomorrow – maybe I will get some work done then?  I don’t know – the swing might be calling to me after I get those tick pellets spread all over the yard!! Smile

Did your Monday go as planned!

Wanda March 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I love Azaleas! I guess they grow up here too but I think you need acid soil and I’ve never had the soil tested nor do I think I want to get that serious about gardening. We had a cool day, 48 degrees. you were probably a lot warme than that.
Wanda recently posted…Ready for company……My Profile

Mary LeClerc March 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Beautiful! Wish we had a porch like that to enjoy.
Mary LeClerc recently posted…BlogationMy Profile

sherry March 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm

beautiful flowers!! and beautiful quilts…
sherry recently posted…过去就过去吧My Profile

Charlotte March 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm

It was a beautiful day! Your flowers are way ahead of mine; and I don’t remember ever seeing so many tiger swallowtail butterflies before this year. I took advantage of the sun and breezes and hung the bedding quilts outside. Oh my, how good they will smell tonight! I only sewed about 12 inches on my binding today.

Astrid March 26, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Love the bright look of your pineapple quilt. Stunning azaleas. No, my Monday plan didn’t work out… Such nice weather Sunday, so my plan was to do some gardening Monday, which is needed… Raining cats and dogs the entire day, night and even this morning, so I’d better forget my plans… Sun is out now, but meteo predicted more showers first half of the day. Need at least 1-2 days to let it dry up, but not so sure this time of the year…
Astrid recently posted…New York Beauty QAL block #5 and #1My Profile

Debbie in Alaska March 27, 2012 at 1:21 am

Fun post…I always enjoy flowers…real and appliqued.
Debbie in Alaska recently posted…Monday’s Progress ReportMy Profile

Vivian March 27, 2012 at 5:14 am

I vote on for the swing and a good book and a cold drink and some yummy snacks. lol
Vivian recently posted…Design Wall MondayMy Profile

Opal March 27, 2012 at 7:49 am

All the plants you’ve mentioned, I grow in our yard. Not too much is in bloom though; Hyacinth, peach tree, daffodils. Yardwork/gardening can be exhausting, so nice to relax and work on crafts, outside, when the weather is nice. During the warm weather, I’m usually outside doing my clients assignments.

Thus far, the only plants we’ve planted in the garden are cold weather plants. The weather is to unpredictable to plant anything else. It got down to 32F last evening. However our acre garden is prepped, weeded and eagerly waiting for us to start planting the seeds into the soil.
Opal recently posted…Quilts; Global Missions SundayMy Profile