Bloggers Quilt Festival–Star Crazy

by Karen on May 21, 2012

Have you all been over to Amy at Amy’s Creative Side?  It is time for the quilt festival – this is actually the last day to enter.  I was trying so hard to get done with Star Crazy as I wanted to enter it in the festival – and I made it!!

Star Crazy is done Smile  This quilt top was begun 2 1/2 years ago – it was a BOM featured on the Quilt Show, and designed by Sue Garman.  Once a month in the year 2010 I would print out the directions and get busy sewing the blocks for the month.   I decided that I wanted my quilt to be bigger than what the original pattern was and I added a 10 inch cream border all the way around the quilt and I made the corners curved just because I wanted to.

By January of 2011 every thing was pieced and put together.  BUT I already had a quilt on my hand quilting frame so it had to wait, and wait and wait.  It went on the frame December 18, 2011 and I took it off the frame May 18, 2012 – 5 months to the day I had finished the hand quilting.  I have been working with the binding the last several days and here it is the last day to make an entry for the show and I have it finished!

A little over 250 hours of work went into this baby!  120 hours of piecing and 132 hours of hand quilting.  Along with the binding I’m sure I could safely say I have spent 260 hours on this quilt – it will be on my bed now for awhile before it gets switched out – I intend to enjoy it for some time before (if) it gets passed on to anyone else.  Finished measurement is 95 x 95 inches (good thing I made it 100 x 100 to begin with – I think fabric is shrinking more than it used to! good thing I love that antique crinkly look – love it as a matter of fact)

So TaDa – here is my scrappy hand quilted version of Star Crazy:

Forgive all the wrinkles – I had just taken it out of the dryer and got busy taking photos.  I probably did over kill on the quilting in the pieced area, once I got started I had to continue – part way through I had wished I hadn’t decided to do that.  I have lost track of how many queen size quilts I have hand quilted now – this bed sure has seen a change of quilts over the years!

Archie the wonder dog May 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

It’s marvellous!!! Well done!!
Archie the wonder dog recently posted…Me and my monster…My Profile

Vicki W May 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

For all the work you put into it I feel like I should say something more than:
It’s spectacular!

But, that’s it. I loved watching it come together and it’s beautiful.
Vicki W recently posted…Design Wall MondayMy Profile

Karen L. May 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I just knew I was going to love “my” quilt when it was done. You should be very proud of this quilt as it is gorgeous!!! And just look at all that hand quilting. Yikes!!! Wonder just how many stitches are in that quilt? Don’t even want to think about that! So, OK, you can use it on your bed for awhile. Just let me know when you are tired of it and I will make arrangements with “Mom” to visit and pick it up. lol, lol, lol Anyway, I do so hope that the family member who eventually receives this quilt appreciates it as much as your blog readers seem to. Wondered if you have any local quilt shows coming up in the near future that you could enter this in? I would be nice for others to see it up close and personal.

CitricSugar May 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

It’s just gorgeous. The time and effort shows!
CitricSugar recently posted…Sew, Mama, Sew’s Giveaway Day: Fabric!My Profile

Steffi May 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oh wow, you were very quick with the binding. The quilt looks fantastic! I love how the big light border makes the colorful stars “pop”. And it fits your bed perfectly.
Steffi recently posted…Bloggers Quilt Festival – Stairway to HeavenMy Profile

Nedra May 21, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I just saw your post over on Star Crazy Log, too.
congratulations on such an amazing finish!
I celebrate with you!
Nedra recently posted…Tossed Nine Patch and MoreMy Profile

Kristen May 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Oh my goodness is this beautiful! Great job on all of it. I had thought about doing this quilt, and then didn’t get signed up in time. I now found it as a BOM at Homestead Hearth and I’ve been trying to decide. Yours is absolutely gorgeous!
Kristen recently posted…Lady of the Lake and Blogger’s Quilt FestivalMy Profile

Mary LeClerc May 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Fantastic! Congratulations of getting it done in time. Hope you win big with it
Mary LeClerc recently posted…Cuteness AlertMy Profile

Teri Dingler May 21, 2012 at 5:29 pm

It looks beautiful on your bed! Another beautiful job! Iknw you are excited for another completed project!

Doreen May 21, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Spectacular!!! In a day and age of quick completions, you have my ‘homage’! Beyond words!!!! Hugs, D
Doreen recently posted…“Happy Trails”………My Profile

Pip May 21, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Wow, you were quick with the binding. Star Crazy is spectacular, beautiful, stunning, you get the idea don’t you. I’ve really enjoyed following the progress of this quilt.
Pip recently posted…Farmers Wife at The Sewing SanctuaryMy Profile

Lesley May 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Love your quilt…beautiful fabrics and wonderful quilting!
Lesley recently posted…Bloggers Quilt FestivalMy Profile

sherry May 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm

love those stars
sherry recently posted…bloggers quilt festival timeMy Profile

Deb May 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Oh Karen, it is just beautiful, your quilting is lovely and the finished product soooo gorgeous. You are truly an artist.
Deb recently posted…More Photos of the Quilt ShowMy Profile

Bonnie May 21, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Really beautiful and looks lovely on the bed!!!

Deanna Neumann May 21, 2012 at 11:15 pm

WOW!! You have done a beautiful job. This is so stunning. It’s nice that you keep track of your time spent. What a great sense of accomplishment. I can’t wait to see all your next projects too…..you really make me want to keep trying to hand quilt. Thanks for sharing your work. Deanna

Carolyn May 21, 2012 at 11:40 pm

This is just beautiful! So much hand quilting! I have only done it on my wall hanging and love it, this is making me think more and more about doing it on a larger quilt.
Carolyn recently posted…Bloggers Quilt FestivalMy Profile

regina chronister May 22, 2012 at 7:07 am

I think it is perfect and I love all the quilting.

Joni in La. May 22, 2012 at 7:46 am

Fabulous! I absolutely love it.
Joni in La. recently posted…The Wonder of LoveMy Profile

Debbe May 22, 2012 at 9:21 am

LOVE IT! You did a fabulous job!
Debbe recently posted…Test Kitchen TuesdayMy Profile

Queenie Believe May 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Truly an amazing quilt! The colors and design are wonderful and the hand quilting is out of this world!
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie
Queenie Believe recently posted…Blogger’s Quilt Festival, Spring 2012: Arizona’s CentennialMy Profile

Tim Latimer May 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

beautiful! well done!! looks great on the bed
Tim Latimer recently posted…Antique Red Fabric…. 4 patch ufoMy Profile

Jill May 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm

It’s stunning! So much work, but so worth it.

Erlinda May 22, 2012 at 6:36 pm

So Beautiful. You did a great job.
Erlinda recently posted…CrazynessMy Profile

Krysta May 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Your quilting is just amazing! I am thoroughly impressed!

Cathi May 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm

It’s stunning! All that work really paid off with a beautiful quilt. And you were really quick with the binding!
Cathi recently posted…A Baker’s Dozen of New York BeautiesMy Profile

Julie Fukuda May 23, 2012 at 7:57 pm

As a fellow hand piecer and hand quilter I can really appreciate all the work that went into this lovely quilt.
Julie Fukuda recently posted…North Wind goes to Bloggers’ Quilt FestivalMy Profile

sherry June 1, 2012 at 9:18 am

this is a fabulous quilt…i love star quilts

Peter June 3, 2012 at 12:19 am

A very beautiful quilt! Great that you hand stitched it. The stitching looks fabulous. My wife has been quilting for 30+ years, and of course for most of them she hand stitched all her quilts, usually with the help of her mother, who hand stitched quilts all her life. Since people started setting up long arm sewing machine businesses, my wife now hand sews ony some baby quilts, and the occasional special quilt.
Peter recently posted…Make a Beautiful Quilt Using The Equilateral Triangle Template KitMy Profile