Red and Green Applique

by Karen on May 6, 2012

in quilts, Red & Green Traditional Applique

I don’t know how many of you have forgotten my Red and Green Applique quilt top that I started making about 2 years ago? I finished the blocks and put the top together last year but I never decided on an applique border.  Finally – I made my decision.

When I finish Joseph’s Coat and have it ready to start to quilt I will need to get busy and find another hand project to work on.  I must finish this top and that will be the next to work on.

A close up

I was going to make something that was kind of half way between fancy and simple but it had a lot of small pieces in it.  I decided because a lot of the pieces in these blocks are actually large that something with bigger pieces would be appropriate.  This quilt is more of a “folk art” type of quilt and simple and big will work.

This is the border I picked – image reds and greens – a little of pinks and yellows as they are used in the blocks.  I few more flowers along the edges than what they show in the photo.  Always hard to judge from seeing a totally different kind of quilt with a border but trust me – this is going to work out!

I think applique on this quilt will keep me busy for quite a few months this summer!

Tara Darr May 6, 2012 at 7:41 am

Love that appliqué quilt! Total quilting yumminess!
Tara Darr recently posted…Take Your Child To Work Day & Book Review!!!My Profile

Mary LeClerc May 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’ve always loved this quilt and think that will be a perfect border
Mary LeClerc recently posted…Cuteness AlertMy Profile

Nedra May 6, 2012 at 11:32 am

Such an amazing quilt!
Nedra recently posted…Lucky DuckMy Profile

Tim Latimer May 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm

That border will be great….the top deserves a special border! it is beautiful…I cant imagine the hours that went into it!
Tim Latimer recently posted…Thousand Pyramids quilt top…finished!My Profile

Doreen May 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

The border suits the quilt perfectly! The applique looks like so much fun and a great way to finish it!! Hugs, Doreen
Doreen recently posted…For documentation…….My Profile

Vivian May 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I’ve been waiting for you to get that quilt back out. My heart is in Christmas. I think that border will be great.
Vivian recently posted…Countdown to Summer!My Profile

Heather May 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

That would carry me through far more than the summer, but then again, I don’t do much applique. It will be even more lovely than it already is.
Heather recently posted…The Bride Price by Tracey Jane Jackson – a US Civil War NovelMy Profile

anina May 7, 2012 at 10:21 am

I most certainly haven’t forgotten it. Your applique talents amaze me. Can’t wait to see this one finished.