The Battle of the Scraps

by Karen on May 10, 2012

in Scrap Organizing

I worked really well on my scraps when I got started doing that over a month ago – then I got side tracked as I assumed I would.  I have a lot done, but tons left to do.  This much left to work on – plus one box full of white scraps – I decided to keep that box separate for now.  A summer project for sure – maybe a working on for a year project Smile

The box of whites

All lined up looking at from above.

A box of 5 inch charms and 4 inch charms

3 1/2 inch charms and 3 inch charms

2 1/2 inch charms, 2 inch charms, and 1 1/2 inch charms – I didn’t intend to cut so many different sizes of squares but I was finding a lot already cut in those sizes so I decided to go with that.

1 box of strings full, second box of strings started – one box of odds and ends of patchwork blocks leftover from projects.

They all fit on the top shelf for now – by time I get done with the basket who knows how many boxes – I might end up combining some if the boxes are not full.

Do I regret starting this chore of organizing scraps – yes I do right now – but I have a feeling I will be glad I did this when I start to use them!!

Vivian May 10, 2012 at 5:30 am

I haven’t started yet. I think I’m going to start by sorting my scraps by color and then decide how much more I want to do. Since I do so much applique, I may stop there. But those neat boxes do look tempting.
Vivian recently posted…Wow and WIPMy Profile

Fran May 10, 2012 at 6:48 am

The scraps look so inviting. I’m sure you’ll feel great satisfaction when you look at all your work and find that making the next scrap quilt will be already half done! I congratulate you on a beautiful job.

Mary Ann May 10, 2012 at 7:03 am

I am currently working on tackling my scrap basket, too. Please visit my recent post for more scrap-busting info:

Nedra May 10, 2012 at 9:27 am

What you have accomplished so far is better than nothing at all. It’s always good to organize, even if it’s just a start.
Nedra recently posted…Bees Knees May BlockMy Profile

anina May 10, 2012 at 11:42 am

Wow! I’m very impressed with the fact that you’re cutting them into usable pieces. Mine are just shoved into shoe boxes. :o(
anina recently posted…Saturday Night InMy Profile

Teresa Rawson May 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Oh…I think you will be glad later. It’s SO fabulous to be organized and be able to find things. I had a friend over this morning who needed some scraps of “grassy” prints…I knew RIGHT where to go and lay hands on both yardage and scraps. She left a happy camper and I was glad to see my efforts at cutting chaos pay off. Your boxes look so neat and inviting!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)
Teresa Rawson recently posted…"Invisible" hand quilting…My Profile

Astrid May 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

So far you have done very well! I know how much time it takes to cut and organize scraps, tedious work. After I spent days cutting and organize, I decided to cut all leftover fabrics from each finished project, instead of just store it away. I had completely forgotten one big shoe box; Christmas fabrics!!! Most of them are already cut into 2 and 2.5inch strips, so it shouldn’t be that much work to cut them into squares, but that is not on the priority list right now. :)
Astrid recently posted…Blogger’s BOM #8My Profile

Jessica May 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Now that is organization! Looking good, Mom. :)
Jessica recently posted…Weekend Blog Walk- # 1My Profile

Karen May 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm

thanks Jes – I’m sure I will use these once I get them organized – it will be so much easier with them already cut