Antique Shop

by Karen on July 7, 2012

When I was at the antique shop yesterday wandering around looking for saucers I started to notice quilts and sewing machines of course (always have my eye out for a featherweight).  I saw these 3 hand pieced and hand quilted and was totally amazed at the price $120.00 for each one – each was at least full size to queen size.  Although you can’t see it in this photo this one has a lot of bleed in the white towards the bottom – that alone made me surprised it was priced the same as the others.  I thought it made good use of scraps.  I don’t think any of these quilts are older than 30 years so so.

The piecing on this one was done really well, points sharp in most places –

This one as you can see is behind a bed frame so I couldn’t get close enough to get a close photo – I hadn’t intended to be taking photos so just had my phone with me for that.

I guess my main surprise on these three quilts was at how low the pricing was for them!

I really am not in the market for another sewing machine so I don’t know the price or the name on this one – I normally keep an eye out for feather weights as I know people will buy them.  If I found one really cheap I would get it and try to resell it.

This one as you can see is a singer and only $75.00 but I have no room for collectibles this big.  It is a treadle as you can see as the one above it also.

I got a kick out of seeing this and other various kitchen items – I recognize so many as being things used in my mothers kitchen when I was young – those old small appliances did hold up to use at times didn’t they compared to the more modern “plastic” type of things – only problem is so many were so heavy!

Well that is my tour of the antique mall – there is so much in this building – it is a very big building.  I’m sure I will go back and wander through another time.

I have given the quilting frame another crank down and I now have 3 out of 10 “rows” finished!!  Another POTC block is finished as well, making that 10 down out of what 84 or so needed?  — next post I thought I would give you all a break from seeing the same old stuff all the time.

Mary LeClerc July 7, 2012 at 11:21 am

I would have snatched the Lone Star for that price if it is in as good of condition asw it looks. Maybe the improved 9-patch too. As much as I like scrap quilts I don’t care for the one with the circles. They seem so out of place to me.
Mary LeClerc recently posted…Cuteness AlertMy Profile

Charlotte July 7, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Loved seeing these! The first old machine was certainly in a pretty cabinet wasn’t it.
I have a string snowball (1st quilt) in the process of piecing, but I don’t like it either; as Mary said, the white circles are overwhelming, so it most likely will never be finished by me.

Karen July 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

these quilts were priced to sell I guess but I have enough at home and have no desire to collect up more!
Yes Charlotte the sewing machine cabinet was pretty wasn’t it

Karen L. July 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I think I like the third quilt the best. And yes that is inexpensive for a quilt especially if it is hand pieced and/or hand quilted. Well, heck Karen, you know how much time and work (let alone materials) go into hand piecing or hand quilting so I can see why you feel these prices are low …. and I am sure we all agree. I had a shop owner tell me recently that it is hard to sell quilts in her store so she stopped carrying them. Nobody wanted to pay what they were worth and if a quilter came into the store, they just wanted to take a photo of the quilt or draw it out so they could make it themselves. She was a bit hostile but then again, she was trying to make a living.

Nedra July 7, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Antiquing is always a lot of fun, especially when we spot vintage quilts, sewing machines and notions. Looks like you had a great time!
Nedra recently posted…Walnut CanyonMy Profile

Astrid July 7, 2012 at 9:32 pm

OOOH! I would have loved to visit those shops! We don’t have anything like this over here. Love the treadle machines… My grandmother had one, but I never got the hang to sew on it, didn’t get the rythm, so the thread broke all the time! :) I still have it, but it is with one of my friends in Norway.
Astrid recently posted…The 2012 Postage Stamp Challenge and Swap #3My Profile