Applique

by Karen on July 27, 2012

in quilts, Red & Green Traditional Applique

What a tiny group we had at quilting this morning – two of us quilters plus Natalie’s mother who is visiting.  Everyone else was on vacation or other plans.

I brought my Red and Green quilt with me to work on the applique and also so I could lay it out and then get up higher to take a photo of the whole thing.  Here at home I can’t lay it all out flat and there we have a stage that we can go up on and look down.  Keep in mind this border is just glue basted in place – I have just one side part way finished in the stitching.

Now you can see what it will look like finished.  Before I was also able to just show half of the quilt – here is the whole thing.  I got it almost laid out straight and flat!  It is about 100 x 100 inches.  I can’t believe I have been working on this quilt for over 2 years now – the top will be done in a month or two, I don’t think the applique will take much more than that if I keep at it steady.  In the upper right hand corner I have that flower down and the leaves up to the middle flower now so I am already about half way done on one border.

We managed to get 3/8 inch of rain last night and lost our power for 2 hours.  Thankfully it came back on by 9:30 as it was so humid outside it would have been miserable to sleep in that kind of weather with no a/c or fans.  We can use every little bit of rain we can get so I’m grateful for it but wish we would have gotten more.

Donna July 27, 2012 at 1:47 pm

What a beautiful quilt! I have taken two hand applique classes and have decided it is not for me but love the quilts! I assume you will be hand quilting this! Can’t wait to see it finished!

Tim Latimer July 27, 2012 at 2:19 pm

looking good and great to be able to see the entire top. I am enjoying watching the progress!
Tim Latimer recently posted…Layout adjustments and a new treasureMy Profile

Nancy/VA July 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm

It’s a beautiful quilt

Charlotte July 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Beautiful! Looks like one straight from a fancy book ;)

We barely got one tenth of an inch of rain; we’re thinking there must be a fence around our community.

Karen L. July 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Wow, another beautiful applique quilt from your hands! It really is gorgeous now that we can see the whole thing. It will be even more beautiful ….. if that is possible …. once it is quilted. Yes, I know, that won’t be for a while but that’s OK.

Deanna Neumann July 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love this quilt. Your choice for the border is lovely. Getting to see the whole thing spread out is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Deanna

Karen July 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm

thanks everyone!

Nedra July 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm

You really have had your challenges with rain and losing power this summer. Glad all is well now. And it’s so nice to see an over all view of your red and green quilt.
Nedra recently posted…Finding Your Value QuiltMy Profile

Carolyn July 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Oh Karen, that’s just lovely. I can’t wait to see it when it’s completely finished…your beautiful quilting will just enhance the top beautifully! Glad to hear that you got some rain. We’ve been dry here in NJ, but nearly as dry as you have. We had some nasty storms come through last night but we didn’t lose power. I’m glad yours came back on!
Carolyn recently posted…27 YearsMy Profile

Doreen July 27, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Rain is back to missing us…again. Comes at us from the West then splits and goes North and/or South!! Right now, the a/c is off for the first time in days and it’s 72! Everyone is quite busy these days…..it’s even difficult to get to those things that are so much fun!!!!!
Doreen recently posted…Pinned and ready……My Profile

Vivian July 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

It looks so great. Can’t wait to see if quilted and hanging.

Elzaan July 27, 2012 at 11:57 pm

That really is amazing! Everything fits well and the detail is fantastic. I think this is my favorite quilt next to your DJ quilts.
Elzaan recently posted…Ditjies en datjiesMy Profile

anina July 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm