Patchwork of the Crosses

by Karen on August 11, 2012

in Lucy Boston--Patchwork of the Crosses, quilts

I hadn’t blogged about Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses for awhile so I thought seeing as I just finished block #16 it was time to lay it all out and see what it was looking like.

Block #16

I thought when laying out the 16 blocks that it would be nice to put some fabric behind the blocks to see what it would kind of look like when joined.  I picked out this pretty aqua batik for this but that doesn’t mean it will be the fabric I will use when joining the blocks – it is just what I used for now.  The big intersection between the blocks will most likely be two colors but the small blocks – see the openings for 4 small squares? those will be one color.  This is not the finished color placement – just for now.  This is about 48 inches square right now with the border it would be more like 52 inch square I think.  Right now I am aiming for 25 blocks for 5 rows by 5 rows and then I will decide if it gets bigger that would make a 60 inch quilt plus border – maybe 65 inches?  I haven’t actually sat down and figured out how many more inches the border brings the quilt to.  It is possible that I will go for larger – making it bed size, but at this point there are so many more quilts I want to make that I am not sure.

To finish off the sides and corners of the quilts this is what a corner block would look like – this is from the book.  This might give you a better idea of what it would look like finished.

Block #17 is laid out and ready to begin work.

Today when watering the ferns I found that I now have 2 tree frogs residing in one of the porch ferns – they sure make a lot of noise at times.  They are getting so tame they let me “pet” them without moving.   It was so nice again today – topping off at 87 today and low humidity.  I do not want to jinx anything by saying maybe the heat wave has broken, but it is what I am hoping for.

Cairo August 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm

You are one prolific quilter. It’s amazing to see what you accomplish! I need to take a lesson from you and get busy. But, I did finish my Quilt of Valor this week:).

Lauren aka Giddy99 August 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm

That already looks gorgeous! What beautiful workmanship! :)

Kathleen August 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Superb!!! Love how it’s looking. Making me rethink about going ahead and starting mine. Lovely work
Kathleen recently posted…Egg-ProblemMy Profile

Pat August 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm

WOW! That looks amazing and I actually rather like the blue background.

Astrid August 11, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Karen, it’s looking great and I love that aqua color in between… Can’t wait to see what you will choose. Cute little frogs! :) We have some here too and indeed they are making a lot of noise! :)
Astrid recently posted…The craze is on again! / Progress on BD quiltMy Profile

Archie the wonder dog August 12, 2012 at 5:22 am

I know it’s ‘just for now’ but I love the aqua you’ve used to show how it will look when the blocks are joined – it (and the blocks!) look wonderful!
Archie the wonder dog recently posted…It’s time!My Profile

Karen August 12, 2012 at 7:51 am

yes the aqua does look nice with these blocks, I have plenty of it so I might very well use that, I also have one that is darker – more of a green it too is a batik – I might use that for the bigger sections in between the blocks where 2 colors are needed.

Marianne August 12, 2012 at 8:00 am

I love the look of that aqua – soft and pretty! I think a darker color wouldn’t be as sweet.

Joni in La. August 12, 2012 at 8:39 am

It’s lovely. The blue is nice. I love your color choices!
Joni in La. recently posted…Woohoo!My Profile

anina August 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love this quilt!!

Doreen August 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm

#17 block is going to be one of my favorites! I think it’s fun not to have a definite finished size in mind for some endeavors….just continue until it tells you otherwise! Hugs, D
Doreen recently posted…And the winner is……..My Profile

glen in louisiana August 12, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Now you need a frog quilt! Love the little guys even though they are really noisy. your blocks look fabulous.
glen
glen in louisiana recently posted…Stash report 8-12-12My Profile

Teri Dingler August 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

This is absolutely beautiful and you make me want to make this – as I do not hand piece my quilts, and you make it look so easy, I wonder how easy it would be machine piecing this particular pattern.

Angela August 13, 2012 at 10:51 am

What a beautiful quilt. The blocks are amazing. I love the color choice you made. How wonderful your blog is – so full of quilting eye candy.
Angela recently posted…One Two Buckle My Shoe & Hunter’s MoonMy Profile