This Weekend

by Karen on August 20, 2012

in Inklingo, Lucy Boston--Patchwork of the Crosses, quilts

I decided to put four of the Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses blocks together to see what it would look like.  After cursing at the tiny 1 inch connecting blocks many times and taking numerous breaks I finally have it finished!  I had to remind myself several times that I am making this quilt because I love hand piecing and how much of a stress reducer it is Smile Now that I have done these 4 squares I really and truly do not think this quilt will be any where near a queen size quilt.  Those little connectors are a big pain in the behind!!  The were hard enough to do by hand but you know I do not know how anyone could do them by machine, you have to turn it this way and that – constantly!!  I am pretty sure this will be no larger than a couch size – for sure.  I will have to make sure that I continue to add these blocks one at a time so I don’t have to do them all at once one after another or I will have another Insanity quilt!

Other than this above photo I worked on the 4th border of the Red and Green Applique quilt and I’m pleased to say I am nearing the end.  One more red flower and about 5 or 6 leaves to go and it will be done and stacked in the “to be quilted pile”.

I did no quilting on the X Marks the Spot quilt nor on Joseph’s Coat.  I will try to work in some time on those this week – but I really want to finish the applique first and say one more top is done.

So how did your weekend go – did you accomplish much? I was outside a lot in between working on the above block.

Donna August 20, 2012 at 6:42 am

I love this quilt but it does look like a lot of work! I can understand why you are going with a couch size!!!!! I learned to quilt by hand piecing and really need to get back into it.

Mary LeClerc August 20, 2012 at 7:31 am

Love these blocks but agree the connectors wouldn’t be fun by hand or machine either one! It was a beautiful cool weekend here but we still need rain!
Mary LeClerc recently posted…Catching UpMy Profile

Gwynette in NW Arkansas August 20, 2012 at 9:12 am

NO sewing this weekend. It was so lovely outside that I did outside things for the first time in a long time. When you first started piecing the Patches of the Cross, I knew for me, that would be a very small quilt with maybe 4 or 6 blocks!!!

Last Tuesday, Carol McM. had a luncheon and show and tell. I sat with Nancy McC. for lunch and partnered with her for a craft that Carol had kitted for us. For some reason, I thought her son was married to your Little Rock daughter, but not so!!! Carol lives on Beaver Lake and we had a great time with the show and tell. The weather was perfect!

Debbe August 20, 2012 at 9:29 am

That size would make a beautiful wall hanging or table topper.
Debbe recently posted…Almost Perfect Circles tutorialMy Profile

Arlene Klatt August 20, 2012 at 9:40 am

Well I did not get a lot done this weekend unlike you. Love the Patches of the Cross.
Arlene Klatt recently posted…The adventure is onMy Profile

Melinda August 20, 2012 at 10:54 am

Karen, your POTC blocks look great. I too will only do a lap throw size out of my western fabrics.

Tim Latimer August 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I am sure those little setting squears were a lot of work but they are worth the effort!…it is beautiful!.. I love the secondary pattern they create
Tim Latimer recently posted…PlansMy Profile

audrey August 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Oh my, that looks beautiful! I love the addition of the connector blocks and I just had to laugh at your ‘stress reducer’ project! Sounds like something I would be thinking.:)

Teri Dingler August 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I am quickly changing my mind on making one of the POTC quilts!!!! haha – I worked on getting some of the 121 individual squares made for one of the granddaughters’ quilt tops made (Christmas presents for the 4 of them) – got 30 of them done! And embroidering on one of the other (9 embroidered squares on this quilt top!) squares on one of the other tops. Did get one of the 4 quilt tops completed (now to hand quilt this one which will be an easy one to do) ! So I stayed busy sewing this weekend!

Charlotte August 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I know that’s a lot of work, but on my! it’s too beautiful to stop at a small size. Maybe just take your time with it, a little at a time, stitch by stitch, and make it twin size at least. ;)

Deanna Neumann August 20, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I love this POTC the setting fabric seems perfect, but…. I am SO excited to see your red and green. I keep hoping your sew day is soon and you can stretch it out and get a great picture.

barbara (in Tennessee) August 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

That POTC quilt is going to be beautiful!! I don!t envy you the little 1″ blocks, lol!

Karen August 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm

thank you everyone for your comments on the POTC that I have completed so far. I do not think I will make this one really big at all – so many other quilts to make you know.
Gwynette isn’t it funny how we know some of the same people and never would have known that if not for the internet – Nancy’s son is married to my younger daughter = they live in Wisconsin.

Vivian August 20, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I think that was the perfect choice for the connector blocks.
Vivian recently posted…I did it.My Profile

Elzaan August 21, 2012 at 8:45 am

I can understand and see that it is hard work, but it sure is beautiful!
Elzaan recently posted…Blogger’s BOM 10 en 11My Profile

Nedra August 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I absolutely love your colors as you are putting the POTC together. I want to be a copy cat.
Nedra recently posted…Wool Needle BookMy Profile