A Handy Dandy Tool

by Karen on September 22, 2012

Have any of you seen this – nothing to do with quilting by the way – an easy way to dust your mini or plantation blinds.  I found this at Wal-Mart. I just wanted to share a way to get done with housework faster so you have more time to quilt!

I’m trying it out on Plantation shutters so I can only do one at a time, if you have mini blinds you could clean 2 or 3?at a time.  It grips these pretty well so you are cleaning both sides of the blind at once.

See how the dust gets caught on to the fabric – yes mine were yucky – I find them so hard to clean.  I’m glad I found this.

Slide it off the tool when you are done cleaning and throw it in the washing machine – it is easy to get back on the tool.  I don’t remember how much it cost but I do believe under $5 and it sure does work great and reusable!

Bertha Mallard September 22, 2012 at 9:23 am

I bought one of these cleaners years ago and it’s still on the job. I have asthma so I must get rid of dust quickly and easily. This thing really works on my blinds. It washes well, dries quickly, and is easy to replace on the holder. Recently I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a replacement from worn facecloths. Any ideas?

glen in louisiana September 22, 2012 at 9:30 am

Walmart, huh? I am heading there shortly!

I have a ton of blinds that are worse than yours. Up until a year ago, I had a maid every week for 30 years. It is a bummer doing your own work! LOL.

glen
glen in louisiana recently posted…The Most Shocking Pictures of the WeekMy Profile

sophie September 22, 2012 at 11:07 am

The house I moved into has plantation blinds on all the windows and doors. I was just thinking yesterday that I needed to find one of those tools and was wondering where to start looking. I’ll be making a stop at WAL*MART this weekend, too. Thanks for the tip.

Mary LeClerc September 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I recently saw a pin on Pinterest for reusable refills for your Swifters made from left over pieces of fleece. Have also seen them using left over batting. Suspect it would be relatively easy to make these for blinds using either of those as well.
I have blinds on all the windows too and hate cleaning them.

sophie September 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’m back from WAL*MART with my new tool and thought I’d share a couple things for anyone else who plans to go pick one up.

It’s SMALLER than I expected–not sure what I was thinking. It’s a little over 7″ long, attached to an oval card and hanging from one of those strips that hang freely from a shelf. I found it near the mops and swiffer-type products, but almost missed it because it’s not hanging on the wall with that stuff, it attached to a nearby shelf in the same aisle.

It’s a bargain. I paid less than $3.

The instructions are funny, you are advised to not machine wash the plastic handle or put it in the dryer :-)
sophie recently posted…Only in New Mexico?My Profile

Cathi September 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm

What a great idea! I’ve shied away from blinds because they’re such a pain to clean, but that tool makes them more attractive again. Hmmm …
Cathi recently posted…A New Quilt in the Making – MaybeMy Profile