I started getting the applique together today for Common Bride. What a mess at times it seems. Auditioning fabric, cutting pieces, laying things out. This will take about 5 days probably before I get it all glued in place with the Roxanne Basing Glue.
First I had to pull my cutting table out from the wall and extend the leaf on the back of it so I have enough work space to start laying out pieces. I have just enough room on the top of the table for this piece
Now when the chair is over there for quilting – this is how crowded it is this is when I wish for a wider room!
But that is ok, I’m used to it and I have it all in one room not like some who have to use their dining room and keep putting things away all the time.
I spent awhile auditioning fabric – at first I thought I wanted pink/burgundy type of flowers but I changed my mind. Those pieces will be used later – some of the baskets, some of the other flowers ect – lots more work to do on this quilt.
I went with blues/greens instead.
It was quite a mess for awhile until I remembered I could extend my table – I tend to forget sometimes – things piled up all over the place – yes I work in a mess at times. That is another of Edyita Star’s patterns hanging there on my wall by the table – I want to do this one too – one at a time though! It is hanging there so I don’t forget about it
Ok, excess fabric all put back in the box – and some back on the shelves that I don’t think will work out – they might get pulled back out later.
Only half of the design is printed out on the pattern – the other side is reverse so I will need to use a sharpie to mark on the reverse side to make it dark enough to see through the fabric. Right now this fabric is just laying there – it needs to be moved around a little and the vine stems need to be cut some. The circle needs to be made – obviously too big right now. Keep that in mind – all of these pieces will be turned under – needle turn applique. All of the applique will be smaller than it looks right here (except the stems they are pressed under). I have pieces cut for all the flowers – each are a little different in color. The little stack of green over there is fabric cut for stems.
I make my stems with the bias maker from Clover this is the 1/4 inch size.
So anyhow this is my design process – take a bunch of fabric off the shelves and look at it in groupings – yes – no – will this work – yes – no – maybe. Then get down to business! This is it for today though – I think I am done with it for now – I need a break and will work on something else this evening!