Center Block

by Karen on September 3, 2012

in Common Bride, quilts

I finished my Feathered Star center block for the Common Bride quilt this morning.  I had some squaring up to do on it.  I should have read the directions better as the square ended up a bit bigger than I realized it would be and I had to trim edges off so it would be the right size – with hand stitching that meant cutting though areas that had been knotted off.  It is not that big of a deal but I need to now go back and re-stitch a couple places so it won’t come apart!

It is now 22 1/4 inches square – Sad smile and just now noticed in the photo that one of the half square triangles is pointing in the wrong direction!!  eek, that needs to be fixed before anything else!!   (lower left side) Oh well – glad I noticed it now – I already fixed a different one first thing this morning that I had noticed last night.  Time to take a break – maybe for the rest of the day!

anina September 3, 2012 at 11:38 am

Wow! Maybe you should leave it. I read somewhere that quilters used to purposely make a small mistake in their quilts.
anina recently posted…Sand & Surf?My Profile

Vicki W September 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Beautiful!
Vicki W recently posted…Design Wall MondayMy Profile

Catherine September 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

It’s beautiful Karen! If you didn’t say anything, I would have never noticed it. Nevertheless, the quilt will be exquisite when finished.

Ann-Mari Duffy September 3, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Just leave it as it is. A quilt with personality it will become.
Love the colours. Very appropriate to the upcoming season.
Ann-Mari Duffy recently posted…Pimp my ride….My Profile

Carolyn September 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm

It’s beautiful, would never had noticed it if you hadn’t pointed it out. I’d have to fix it too, don’t think I could leave it either. Looks like you’ve had a productive weekend!
Carolyn recently posted…Hand QuiltingMy Profile

Vivian September 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I really do love this feathered star. The fabric is so pretty and blends so well.
Vivian recently posted…I decided toMy Profile

Marianne September 3, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Beautiful! I love the colors. The mistake isn’t noticeable but it will probably drive you crazy over time. I had a quilt in a show and then on my bed for years. One morning, I noticed a very obvious mistake. Ugh! But it’s too late – it’s well-loved and part of the whole by now.

Astrid September 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Karen, having visitors I have missed reading many blog posts… WOW! This one is gorgeous! Love the colors you have chosen. I know it had haunted me forever if I hadn’t corrected that mistake – lol.
Astrid recently posted…Birthday Quilt RevealedMy Profile

Nedra September 3, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I don’t think I would have noticed that one piece if you hadn’t mentioned it. We call those humility squares, and I seem to be able to find them in almost all of my quilts.
Nedra recently posted…Frixion PensMy Profile

Elzaan September 3, 2012 at 10:41 pm

That is a lovely center block, even if the one triangle is being a … square :)
Elzaan recently posted…Blogger’s BOM 10 en 11My Profile

Dara September 4, 2012 at 10:01 am

I think your work is amazing even with the little oopsie. I think the “mistake” still looks amazing and maybe you should consider keeping it. Down the road, people will smile when they see that tiny imperfection. =-)
Dara recently posted…Fall is right around the corner!My Profile