Side Bars

by Karen on September 12, 2012

in Joseph's Coat, quilts

I most likely need to update my side bar with all the blogs I read.  I wonder though do a lot of you who come to my blog use the side bar?  Do you look to see what links I have there.  I wonder how helpful they are.

I know that when I go to other quilting blogs I look to see what blogs they read – I find it a great jumping off point to find new blogs that might interest me.  Quilting blogs create such great inspiration – ok – maybe I don’t need more LOL, I’m already on the computer way too much!!  Just part of my side bar here – what is on my side bar is only a small portion of blogs that I read or glance over each day.  I glance at way too many, I think on my google reader right now I have about 80 blogs listed that I skim through.

I like using Word Press for my blog and I do not care for blogger – one thing about blogger though that I like as oppose to Word Press is that Blogger has the follower button so you know about how many people follow your blog.  Because I don’t have that I have a number count instead that shows how many page impressions I have.  Mine just went over the 200,000 mark since I put it on my blog last year – I didn’t think it was ever going to get there Smile  I know that is low to some but to me it shows people come on back to visit and I think that is great!

So back to the side bar – would you like to see more links to quilting blogs or do you not use this?

Joseph’s Coat- progress

LOL – I have had a couple notes over time asking me why do I have that little keepsake catalog on the floor in so many pictures of the quilts on the frame Smile I have an uneven floor – house is old, this lamp doesn’t sit solid on it so I tuck an old catalog under the lamp to hold it steady – simple solution.  I could get clamp lights for the frame as I have that bar that goes all the way across the top but then I would have to constantly be repositioning them because I have the goose neck notion holder than slides along with me as I make progress down the quilt.020

Sarah DiDomizio September 12, 2012 at 6:36 am

I love the blog rolls on people’s blogs. While I don’t always look at them, when I feel like I need new inspiration, I’ll go trolling around to different blogs that are linked on people’s pages that I do visit frequently. I know blogger has a good one where you can set it up to show snippets from the most recent posts. I actually use that to sometimes weed out old blogs that the writers don’t really post to anymore.
Sarah DiDomizio recently posted…Make A List MondayMy Profile

Caron Mosey September 12, 2012 at 7:43 am

Due to time restraints, I normally read blogs on Google Reader. Because of that, I don’t see the actual blogs website (with sidebars, decorations, backgrounds, etc.). However, there are times when I make it a point to go to various blogs and look around for just the reasons you mentioned above. I look to see if my blog is listed on their site, what blogs they follow that I might not, and what new and exciting things they have included since the last time I visited. Hope that helps!
Caron Mosey recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: The moon and VenusMy Profile

Nedra September 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

Oh, thanks for including me on your side bar :)
I graze through yours from time to time, if I have an extra few minutes here and there. Most of the time I barely get through my own side bar.
Nedra recently posted…Quilting SistersMy Profile

Debbie in Alaska September 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

I do look at what other people read on their sidebars…but I often pull off sites that lose my interest…only sew much time to read blogs!
Debbie in Alaska recently posted…Tourist TuesdayMy Profile

Odette September 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

Me gusta ver la barra lateral , he podido encontrar blogs muy interesantes , he aprendido tecnicas y me han ayudado a inspirarme tambien. He visitado todos sus enlaces , gracias porque me han servido de mucho.
Cariños

Odette

audrey September 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I catch up with the quilt blogs that I follow from the link list on my side bar. Occasionally I go through and eliminate a few as I tend to add so many, I could spend half my day reading through blogs! So yeah, I’m always interested in the blogs that other quilters link up to and if I might be interested in linking up to them too.:)

Karen L. September 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I’m sorry to say that I rarely read the sidebar because I already have too many blogs bookmarked to read. Some of them are on you sidebar. I am afraid that if I find another blog to read I will never be able to go to bed due to trying to read and respond to all the blogs that I would love to follow!!! Right now I need to clean out my bookmarks because I don’t read half the blogs I have there and/or some of them have even disappeared or I have lost interest in them. I swore I would never do much with the computer except email but now I am somewhat addicted to certain blogs ……. such as Yours, darn it! lol But then your name did suck me in. After all, how could I resist another Karen with a husband named Mike???

Jocelyn September 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I do jump to read blogs from the sidebars. I sometimes find blogs that I might not normally see. So I read from my own google reader and when I am visiting other blogs, I take a look at who is listed.

glen I Louisiana September 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I often look at the sidebars to see wha t new people I can find!

glen
glen I Louisiana recently posted…How I Set Up a QuiltMy Profile

Erlinda September 12, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I look at the sidebar all the time. Just to see what other people are making.
Erlinda recently posted…I movedMy Profile

Doreen September 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I really don’t go beyond those on my “follow” list…..major time constraints! However, I do follow up on all who comment on any of my posts and that gives me new additions! I treasure each and every friend on my “follow” list even though I haven’t had the pleasure of personally meeting them……yet;-D
Doreen recently posted…Celebration………My Profile

Gwynette in NW Arkansas September 12, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Great question, Karen!! I do NOT look at your sidebar to see what blogs you read. I have my favorite blogs in a file under the Favorites on the tool bar and unless I see that you have highlighted another blog in your content AND I’m interested in the subject you are discussing, I don’t stray from my list of 30 or so blogs. These computers do feast on our time, don’t they???

Bet you are glad to be about finished with Joseph’s Coat!!!!

Qi September 13, 2012 at 12:08 am

I do love the tutorial part of your side bar. but i can not open most of your blog collections :(
I even tried every links on your side bar and leave those ones i can opened to my favorite pages, Thanks a lot :)
Qi recently posted…旅行 2011My Profile