Too Much Fabric

by Karen on September 7, 2012

in Common Bride, quilts

What!! too much?  I  received my win from the Fat Quarter Shop yesterday – 15 fat quarters of the Lynette Anderson line – I put it up on my shelf with the bundles that I have – I like to keep all those bundles together so I can use the whole line in something – all these browns – what will I make?  Maybe another log cabin with opposing sides of the block being in white on whites or cream on very light beige? it’s an idea

The shelf is getting more crowded – I might have to rearrange things one day – the bundles waiting to be used –  When I look at the shelves at times I think I better get busy and get the sewing machine out and start zipping out quilt tops one after another – and then I remember they need to be quilted as well – maybe I better just look at fabric for the next several years and not buy any – I do try not to buy – don’t you?  It is just so hard not to when you see so many pretty colors.

I got one more corner of applique tacked down yesterday – I just might get this done today and then I can get my room organized again.  I will have to start to go through my thread cabinet to pull out corresponding threads and start up a little take along kit for this project. (remember this is needle turn applique the pieces will be smaller than they look – someone told me they thought the pieces too big – yes they are for now) it will all look right in the end Smile

My new Hancock’s of Paducah catalog came in the mail yesterday – I love this book – so many ideas come from it.

Just a sample of what is all in this book!

Archie the wonder dog September 7, 2012 at 7:02 am

Congratulations on your win – the log cabin idea sounds like a good one! I love the look of your rainbow bundles at the back of your shelf, I’m not surprised you couldn’t resist them!! A take-a-long kit for the applique sounds like a great idea, that way you could take it to quilt group…or just from room to room without losing anything ;o)
Archie the wonder dog recently posted…Low volume charm swapMy Profile

Nedra September 7, 2012 at 7:44 am

I’m curious to see what you will be making with the darker fabrics. I have a lot of browns in my stash, and am trying to think up a scrap quilt type of project. Congratulations on your win!
Nedra recently posted…Darlene’s Crazy QuiltsMy Profile

Tim Latimer September 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

I love the tones of that fabric…it will make a great quilt!
I had to hide my new Hancock catalog yesterday so I would not spend the day looking at it!….but today I think I might just give in
the applique is looking great!
Tim Latimer recently posted…Thousand Pyramids CompleteMy Profile

Bonnie September 7, 2012 at 11:27 am

Are you going to open up the seams of the basket and tuck the stems in or turn them under where they meet the basket? I wonder sometimes on how to handle that problem.

Karen L. September 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm

What a nice win for you! One can never turn down free fabric, right?
Your applique is coming along nicely. I was reading though some of the steps you take to do this process. You trace the patterns on the right side of the fabric, glue everything down where it should go, then do needle turn applique following the drawn line. I guess that means that you turn under and sew the pieces that are underneath any other piece first, correct? I would assume that it would have to be that way to work. You really do make this look so easy. I know I keeps saying I need to try this but I haven’t got the glue yet. Sometime soon, hopefully.

Pip September 7, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Love the look of those browns and taupes, I might have to investigate that range too. I agree that it is hard to resist buying fabric especially when you see all the colours available.

Vivian September 7, 2012 at 8:03 pm

A log cabin would look great with those fabrics. It has been a good year for you winning. I have signed up for the Hancock of Paducah catalog twice and still haven’t received one. I guess I’ll try again.
Vivian recently posted…Hand Quilting ChallengeMy Profile

Astrid September 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Congrats on the win! I have never been a fan of browns, but those are really beautiful! It all depends on the design, I guess. WOW! The applique is really beautiful – can’t wait to see it done. Last time I purchased from Hancocks they didn’t include a catalogue, had to claim it from them…. Said they had forgotten to add it….
Astrid recently posted…Quilting and needlesMy Profile

glen I Louisiana September 8, 2012 at 5:45 am

Beautiful, beautiful. I wish I could do appliqué like you do. Your work is so fine.

Yes, I have too much fabric.

And yes, I got my hancocks book too, and am lusting over half of it!!!!

glen
glen I Louisiana recently posted…Karen Stone Comes to River City GuildMy Profile