Applique and Brownies

by Karen on October 25, 2012

in Baking/cooking, quilts, weather

First the recipe – I love these brownies.  I found a recipe and tweaked it a bit to make it mine and now it is completely different than what it was!

Brownies

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup Hershey cocoa
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts – walnut or pecan are good
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips to give more of a rich chocolate boost
1 cup coconut

Beat the eggs, sugars, and oil.  Add the dry ingredients and the vanilla mix until smooth.  Stir in the nuts, chips and coconut.

Bake at 350 degrees  in a 9 x 13 inch pan for about 35 minutes – check and bake longer if needed – you don’t want to over bake though. Cut into as many squares as you desire.

=====================================

Applique – I have all of this glue basted in place and spread it out on the floor so I could see how it is coming along – as you can see it needs more on both sides the half way point on the right side is where it is all folded up at – I want it to reach up to that point at least.  In the front the stem reaches the half way point so I need to add more flowers and leaves there as well – I might have it past the halfway point on both of these sides – just depends on what I come up with.

The tree by the porch is turning more blazing red than it has in the past it seems – and it turned practically overnight.

Still a little bit of petunias in the basket – there had been about 5 different kinds of plants in this and it is the only one to survive the drought.

Fall leaves falling!

Donna T October 25, 2012 at 6:04 am

The brownies look so good; just need a cup of hot tea to go with one! Karen the quilt is beautiful! Can’t wait to see it quilted! Thanks for the eye candy this morning!

Sarah DiDomizio October 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

Those brownies are making me hungry! :-)

The quilt is going to look gorgeous when you’re finished with this one.

Flo October 25, 2012 at 9:09 am

mmmm…the brownies look yummy!! And the quilt is looking great!
Flo recently posted…plaid?My Profile

Doreen October 25, 2012 at 10:00 am

Will have to try those brownies……look to be quite “fudgie” and moist—-the way I prefer! Personally, your stems may not need to even reach the 1/2 way point on both edges. I might wait til you put the other motif in place in the diagonal/opposite corner. I like the asymmetrical look a lot! So love that bow tie. Did you mention where the pattern is found?? Sorry to repeat if you did! Hugs, D
Doreen recently posted…A bittersweet post…….My Profile

Gwynette in NW Arkansas October 25, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’d say someone has been sampling the brownies!!! Anything with chocolate and coconut is GOOD!! Yum, yum.

I like the addition of the small bow ties. Adds a lot of interest and movement.

With the wind yesterday and overnight, a lot of our leaves are on the drive and porch. We’ll pile them up with the leaf blower and mulch the blueberries and figs.

audrey October 25, 2012 at 4:05 pm

brownies & quilting! what could be better.:)

Penny October 25, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Thank you for the recipe, looks delicious! The ingredients are available here, so will make it for Christmas, yummy! Often American recipes are hard to convert to what we have here but this one is fine.

So enjoy watching you put applique together, am hoping I can start my first soon, that is for quilts, I have only machine appliqued clothes in the past.

Is that a wood storer in the background, looks interesting. Spring is cool here so far, but not cold enough for the fire now. My family laughs at me because I just love seeing wood stacked waiting to give warmth.

Astrid October 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I love brownies too! If I have some coconut, I usually add it in. I will definitely bookmark the recipe. Thanks for sharing. Stunning autumn colors, I really miss the autumn with its colors, falling leaves etc.
Astrid recently posted…Blogger’s BOM #12 and #13My Profile