Hexie Applique

by Karen on October 24, 2012

Thanks for all the comments on the last two quilts that I finished.  Yes it was nice finishing two one after another.  Now it is time to move on and get another finish!  Mike will be working a lot of evenings in the next several weeks I believe so I have the house to myself which means I’m not cooking much – I will be getting some quilting/piecing/applique done.

A couple days ago I started the design for the applique on the bowtie quilt.  It is coming along – slowly while I get all the pieces ready but moving along.  I wasn’t able to work on it yesterday until last night as I had driven to Northwest Arkansas yesterday to spend the day with my mom – we got in lunch and some shopping and a visit with one of my sisters.

Last night I got back to work on the applique while watching some tv.  Several days ago I started to toss around some of the hexie flowers that I had started and vines – as you can see it is all just kind of tossed around right now waiting for the final design and the glue.  The white pieces are just freezer paper leaves waiting to be pressed onto various green fabric – I should be able to get to that today.

One more section.  I will be doing this bottom right corner (a quarter of the quilt if it was folded) and then the opposing corner at the top with a different design.

I am using this design in the book for inspiration – this one is a a wall hanging size. I am not putting a flower pot on mine.  Some of the flowers are of these designs other will not be.  The top left corner I might use this chain type placement of partial flowers – I kind of like that.  I’m not sure if I will put embroidery on it in the lower corner – I think I might – not a lot but little curly cues here and there as tendrils coming off of the vines or flowers – the little red circles might be groupings of French knots.

A couple more flowers that I am putting together today – just basted right now and I need to get them stitched still – I’m not sure how many more flowers are needed for the bottom corner and as you can see quite a few more for the top!  Well be a work in progress for several weeks and I will get back to quilting on Joseph’s Coat as well – I will be working on two once again.

Astrid October 24, 2012 at 6:31 am

Indeed you are busy! Our visitors left last night, so now I hope after a few days I’ll get into the routines again… I was just thinking ‘what did I work on at the beginning of the year’ – lol! The hexie border is sure going to be very pretty! Can’t wait to see it done.
Astrid recently posted…Birthday quilt #2 revealedMy Profile

Sue October 24, 2012 at 6:49 am

Oh this will be another great quilt! Love the colors of fabrics.

Isn’t it funny how we don’t feel the need to cook much when we have the house to ourselves? I’m the same way…don’t want cooking to get in the way of my quilting! Haha
Sue recently posted…Nine Patchers UniteMy Profile

Rita Larson October 24, 2012 at 7:24 am

Karen,
Wondering what book this border idea is from..Can you share? Love it! a good way to use some hexies..I’m afraid I don’t have another entire quilt of hexies in me..LOL

Carolyn October 24, 2012 at 7:54 am

Karen, I love the hexies! What a wonderful idea. I understand about the quiet nights to sew…my husband is leaving on Sunday for a business trip and won’t be home for almost 2 weeks. As much as I’ll miss him, I’m so hoping that I’ll make time in my sewing room and with my knitting!
Carolyn recently posted…Settling In AgainMy Profile

Archie the wonder dog October 24, 2012 at 8:12 am

It looks great!!
Archie the wonder dog recently posted…A little progress is still progress!My Profile

Tim Latimer October 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

That is going to be great! I love the hexie flowers and the contrast with the bow ties
Tim Latimer recently posted…Piecing and LayoutMy Profile

Nedra October 24, 2012 at 11:09 am

Very fun border. Love the mix of hexies with bowties.

Kim October 24, 2012 at 11:26 am

I love having more then one project going. Stops me from getting board. Right now I have a hand quilting, a hand piecing and a hand applique. I am always amazed at how quickly hand projects go. I sit and watch tv with hubby at night and depending on my mood is which project I work on.
Kim recently posted…Diamond Finished!My Profile

Charlotte October 24, 2012 at 11:49 am

Very pretty! I made a quilt almost like the one pictured in the book, after seeing one on an Amish quilt site. I like hexie flowers.

Doreen October 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Love that “Bow Tie” pattern….the mix of sizes is not the pattern I am used to seeing and the hexie motifs are such a great ‘interest’ in the outer areas. That book idea is a good one (minus the flower pot–my opinion, too). I think most of us are of the same persuasion…..if there isn’t someone else to cook for then we are free to work on all those ‘fun things’ just waiting for us! Yippee!!!
Doreen recently posted…A bittersweet post…….My Profile

Penny October 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Karen, those hexi flowers are adorable! The perfect finish for your quilt. Congratulations on your two finishes as well. Finishes seem to be rare in my home, hopefully that will change in the future. With five children and home schooling for many years, when the odd moment came and I was home on my own I was completely lost, but now, with three still home, I look forward to and love those times I am on my own. Enjoy your quiet evenings!

Vivian October 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm

That is so cool. I never thought about using hexies for flowers. I love them.
Vivian recently posted…Sometimes it’s the little thingsMy Profile