On The Way Home

by Karen on October 8, 2012

in Travel

A trip from our area of Arkansas to our daughters area of Wisconsin in actuality can be done in about 14 hours.  We took 4 1/2 days – yes we didn’t drive much each day – we were busy looking at things along the way.

Here we are in the Wisconsin campground just about ready to leave – just have to get those orange leveling blocks out from under the front tires and we will be on our way.  Look at those fall colors – they were turning each day of our 10 day visit.

I lost track of how many times we criss-crossed the Mississippi river.  We went from WI to the very eastern edge of Iowa into Illinois at times the first day.

Camped near Rock Island Illinois the first night.  We got there plenty early enough to do some sight seeing and stretch our legs.  Our first place of interest was a park called Credit Island.

One of the unique things about this park is a small area where they have Victorian area sculptures sitting out in the grass.

And there is this pretty walking/bicycle bridge that you can walk across and see the river.

Such a clear day – just see the reflections in the water.

At the campground there was a walking trail as well.  This photo didn’t come out clear but I liked it anyhow.

Next morning we were off to our next stop about 3 or 4 hours down the road.

Kathleen October 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh how lovely and so much fun. If I were to travel, that is the way I would like to do it. I am trying to talk my husband into getting a small (I’m assuming small) RV. I would love to know more about it and how you like it. I know some have a complete bathroom in them and are not that long in length. Look forward to hearing and seeing more of your trip.
Kathleen recently posted…Many BlessingsMy Profile

Marianne October 8, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Those sculptures look a bit like J. Seward Johnson’s lifesize sculptures based on the Renoir picnic painting. Could they have been?? I saw an exhibit of his sculptures once in Washington – you could go inside a variety of famous paintings. It was fun, but the critics called it “kitsch.” I liked it anyway!

I like a trip where you don’t drive for full days and actually get to see something, too!

Doreen October 8, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Lovely pics, but next time a ‘swing’ up through S.E. MN is a must!!! We could even just meet up with you somewhere in the area, hmmm? DH and I are thinking/kicking around the idea of getting an RV like your style and getting rid of the 5th wheel. Fun to dream!!!
Doreen recently posted…Last eve’s drive…….My Profile

Sue October 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This sounds like it was a wonderful trip for you. I think ten days on the road in fall would be just wonderful! Great photos!
Sue recently posted…Happy FridayMy Profile

Tim Latimer October 8, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I think they are based on A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Pierre Seurat
Tim Latimer recently posted…AQS Quilt AppraisalsMy Profile

Karen October 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm

yes Tim the sculptures are what you say – I just looked up another photo I had taken and sent a note to Marianne

glen I Louisiana October 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Great pics! Thanks for sharing them with me. glen
glen I Louisiana recently posted…Leaf Me Alone!My Profile