Ready for Christmas

by Karen on December 9, 2012

tn_FreeVintageImagesofChristmasClipArt5_jpg

EDITEDI have been having a bit of trouble with my blog server and at times my blog will pop up with an Error message, I believe it is fixed again for now but who can tell, it has been happening fairly frequently the last 2 or 3 weeks – just try again later!

Well not quite – I still have a bit of baking to do and Christmas shopping – I haven’t started!!  But yesterday was spent making one batch of cookies to eat while the tree was going up and the rest of the time was doing a little here and there going through the boxes of decorations – I don’t use more than half of them anymore it seems and really need to pack these boxes better this time when we put everything away.

I don’t have a place for the Christmas Lighthouse wall hanging that I made some years ago anymore, but I thought what the heck drape it over the quilt rack.  I made this wall hanging about 10 years or so ago – the pattern and the architecture fabrics were a Christmas present from the daughters.  Needle turn applique and hand quilted. (Made 2002 just checked @ 10:48)

I noticed I took this photo before I had everything little thing out by the fireplace– oh well, still a bit of clutter!  If we happen to have to have a fire going all of this has to be moved – but that usually doesn’t happen.

the small version I made of the Dutch Treat quilt – I got very tired of this one after I started to make it and it is less than a quarter the size it was supposed to be – that is what happens to some of us after we do two Dear Jane quilts, we think we still want to work with little pieces but in my case I was burned out on little pieces and said forget about it!  I thought the colors go well for Christmas though and now I use it under the decoration – works out well.  This quilt is reverse applique (by hand) and hand quilted. (finished 2010)

Two quilts in the dining area – the Christmas Tree on the wall is the one that I did totally by machine last month and the one on the table is a Feathered Star with a Cardinal in the center – needle turn applique, machine pieced and hand quilted.  I think I made this one about 6 or more years ago – I would have to look at the label to be sure and I’m too lazy to get up. (feathered star 2006)

Christmas Nativity set that my grandpa made back in 1953, the people and animals are a collection that I painted about 35 years ago.

Some newer pieces here

and the skinny fake tree – so easy to decorate – pop it out of the box, put three pieces together, plug it in and add a few old decorations here and there – works for me!

and the Christmas Wall Hanging that I showed you after Thanksgiving.  This pretty much makes up Christmas at my house – I have a wreath on the outside of the front door (finished big wall quilt 2011)

We can’t forget the cookies to go with decorating the house – these are called “nutmeg cookie logs

Carla December 9, 2012 at 10:12 am

It all looks so cozy and inviting!

Kim December 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Yea! I got to read your blog! I always look forward to reading your posts so was having withdrawls this morning when I couldn’t get it to load lol. I really love the Christmas lighthouse pattern. So many wonderful decorations and quilts!
Kim recently posted…Slow Stitching SundayMy Profile

Penny December 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Your Christmas Lighthouse quilt is lovely! Your decorating is very tasteful without being too, overdone. Those who decorate to the max, have a real ability at doing it and it is interesting to see but I could not live with it even for a short time. I enjoy simple and tasteful.

Vivian December 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I love to decorate for Christmas and love lights. But this year, I pooped out in the middle of it. I really need to go through and throw away the old looking stuff and stuff I didn’t use this year. I spotted your Double Wedding Ring in one of the pictures.

I guess I better be ready for the cold. Hopefully, no snow though since I have to get out and drive.
Vivian recently posted…A Beautiful WeekendMy Profile

glen/quiltSwissy December 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm

So beautiful and homey looking. I love your house!

glen
glen/quiltSwissy recently posted…Stash Reduction 12-8-12My Profile

Nedra December 9, 2012 at 9:19 pm

you look ready now for Christmas! So much work goes into decorating, but it’s so fun to see.

Doreen December 10, 2012 at 7:26 am

Yay! Your blog came up in my “Reader”!!! Your place looks gorgeous. I put out very little this year but am happy with it…..simplicity! The cookies look yummy! Off to quilt Christmas gathering this morning! Almost 8″ of snow goes a long ways to make it look more Christmas-y!!!!!! Might have to borrow your pattern for the “machine done” tree!!!! Hugs, D
Doreen recently posted…Until further notice……My Profile

Miriam December 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Thank you for sharing your Christmas decorating.
I love all your Christmas quilts!
Miriam recently posted…Another Chester Criswell Quilt BlockMy Profile