Hand Work & Tumblers

by Karen on January 24, 2013

in Lucy Boston--Patchwork of the Crosses, quilts, William Morris in Applique-Floral Fantasy

Tumblers picnic quilt is completed – I must say though that I was disappointed in that not all of the spray adhesive washed out.  I used June Taylor which I have been told is not a good one to use — wish I had known that before I used it.  I was hoping it would all wash out – but it seems to be a bit stiff still.  The quilt is not as soft and fluffy as I like them to be – but seeing as it is to be a picnic table covering it will work out ok.  I have learned my lesson though about spray adhesives – either do not use them or spray sparingly!!  I must say I did have a heavy hand with it not being very experienced with them I didn’t realize – now I do Smile

I thought I would get started on getting the patterns ready for the William in Morris applique – I will need to come up with my own name for this one – in the book by Michelle Hill she calls this one “Floral Fantasy

This first block that I will do is an easy one – only 6 pieces to it.  I traced out on to freezer paper so that I can iron the pattern to it and trace around it easily to have my needle turn line.  Michelle Hill usually does buttonhole stitch I believe as that is what is used in the book – I’m just not into that stitch – and I will use my usual needle turn.  Here are a couple bundles of batiks that I might use to blend in with the other colors that I have showed before.  I will also look through scrap pieces to see what is available – not all of my scraps though are very large and as you can see some of these pattern pieces are too large for bits and pieces.

Also I have been working on the Patchwork of the Crosses – the stitching of attaching the row really isn’t that hard to do as some  of you think – it is tedious though at times.

And yes to all of you in the north who are envious of the daffodils blooming here – I do remember what living in the north is like :) I lived in WI for 20 years, Idaho for 4 1/2 years and CT for 3 1/2 years – basically the first half of my life in the colder northern climate – been there and done that and have no wish to do it again!!!!  I remember like it was yesterday – one time in Idaho while we were there we had temps below 10 degrees for a whole month – oh I remember it well.  As we used to put in while living in Idaho we had two seasons – winter and July :)

Sue January 24, 2013 at 7:12 am

Love your tumbler! That does look like a picnic. Great fabrics!

Your POTC is looking great! Floral Fantasy looks lovely! It looks like it would be a bit of a challenge for me, but I’m sure you’re up for it!
Sue recently posted…A Quick PostMy Profile

Nedra January 24, 2013 at 7:49 am

Thanks for the heads up on spray adhesives. I’ve never used them because the fumes make me sick, and now I can see they aren’t that great to use anyway.

Karen January 24, 2013 at 7:56 am

I have been told that 505 adhesive spray is better and if you don’t spray it as heavy as I did it washes out – I have not used that one so can say from experience as to how it works – I do know that I would not use June Taylor again.

Teri Dingler January 24, 2013 at 8:05 am

If you ever decide to sell your POTC quilt, let me know! I would love that one! Any price, you name it!

Karen January 24, 2013 at 8:33 am

LOL – Teri somehow I do not think this quilt will leave my house :)

Kim January 24, 2013 at 10:28 am

I had to giggle at the been there done that, I am lived all my life along the gulf coast. I always say I would love snow, hubby always reminds me I love the idea of snow cause the few times we have traveled and been caught in it, well I didn’t like it so much lol.
Kim recently posted…Slow Stitching SundayMy Profile

joyce hoppner January 24, 2013 at 10:33 am

Dear Karen, I just finished Michelle Hill’s Arts and Crafts sampler using needle turn. It can be a tad challenging because of some narrow spaces but really looks beautiful. You’ll be very pleased. Because of your POTC photos I too have started a Crosses quilt. You have a lovely way with fabric selection.

Archiethewonderdog January 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Your tumbler quilt looks wonderful – hope the rest of the basting spray washes out over the next few months!
Archiethewonderdog recently posted…I’ve finished faffing…I think!My Profile

Doreen January 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm

The spray I have used is 505 and the only complaint is the slight stickiness on the needle (that pulls the bobbin thread to the top slightly). I didn’t have a “heavy hand” when spraying and had been told that others hadn’t experienced any problems. The spray was quite “spendy” but I doubt I’ll use it again! Lesson learned……..
Doreen recently posted…Already broken…….My Profile