Inklingo – Printing out My Hexies from my Printer

by Karen on January 29, 2013

in Diamonds Are Forever, Inklingo, Lucy Boston--Patchwork of the Crosses, quilts

Printing on fabric can be a pain in the you know what at times – but most times it works out ok.  Yesterday I started with problems getting my printer to start – I finally had to reboot the computer and then the printer worked.

I was preparing more hexies – which as I have told you all I am using Inklingo – printing on fabric.  First I press my fabric and cut it the right size for the hexie’s that I am using.  Linda gives much better instructions on her Inklingo site (U Tube videos) then I can give you so if you are really interested in using Inklingo please go see her good directions – maybe my simple directions can get you interested in using this method.

In this case I can fit 3 x 4 rows of hexies just about perfectly on a piece of fabric that is 7 x 10 1/2 this gives me very little waste.  From a fat eighth (the fabric that I am using right now) I can cut two pieces of fabric that size and have two pieces that vary in size – no fat eighth seems to be cut the same!!  I some times have 2 pieces left over that are 2 1/2 x 10 1/2 and some times they are not quite wide enough for that.  I iron those strips onto another piece of freezer paper trying to line them up exactly right to get the most out of them.

This is looking at the tray of my printer which loads from the front.  The fabric is ironed onto the freezer paper – the fabric side goes down the freezer paper up.

If you have a legal size printer you can print out all of this that is on  the screen – my printer and few that I know of are like this so you just get a portion of what is on the screen.  I can’t for the life of me figure out custom sizes so I just custom size my paper instead to feed through the printer.  I would love to find a legal size printer just to use with Inklingo!!

Well this was blurry – I am trying to point out here that you select current page to print and Actual size (do not shrink to fit)

this is what you get when you print out your 1 inch hexies – see how I have learned exactly where to place my fabric to get the most out of this sheet.  You can then cut these out with your rotary cutter – go by rows and then trim the edges.  You can print in a lot of different colors – try to choose something that goes with your fabric and is dark enough for you to see to stitch.

A lot of times I just trim the edges with the scissors while I am watching tv but you can do this by rotary cutter as well.

My new storage box that I picked up for this project.  The diamond hexies can fit in the bottom container – hexies in the middle and sewing supplies on the thinner top container.

Seeing as I finished a Patchwork of the Crosses block the other day I thought I better get another one ready.

Teresa January 29, 2013 at 7:23 am

Karen ~ I love your blog and love Inklingo! Thanks for all the information you share. I need to get one of those boxes (-:

Miri January 29, 2013 at 8:23 am

I just love your hexi design quilts…both are fantastic. Thanks for showing how you use Inklingo.
Miri recently posted…Pride and Prejudice: Happy 200th BirthdayMy Profile

Kim January 29, 2013 at 8:50 am

Does the container have 2 or three areas for storage? Where do you get them?

Love the new block!
Kim recently posted…I had a light bulb moment!My Profile

Cindy January 29, 2013 at 11:37 am

Okay so now I AM impressed. But, you can still have those 100’s of hexes. I can’t even donate any because I don’t have any. LOL
Happy cutting , happy hexing (no, I didn’t say “sexing”, LOL)
Cindy recently posted…Microwave Baked Potato BagsMy Profile

Melanie Goad January 29, 2013 at 11:40 am

Wow, how cool to print on the fabric.
Melanie Goad recently posted…Pork SpaghettiMy Profile

Cathi January 29, 2013 at 11:53 am

Setting custom sizes really is easy, once you get used to it and if you have a printer that supports custom sizes. Have you checked out the updated “Custom Page Sizes” pdf download on the Inklingo website? Maybe that might help — if your printer does support custom sizes.
Cathi recently posted…Testing a Quilt BlockMy Profile

CJ Tinkle January 29, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Karen, is the sole purpose of Inklingo paper templates? If one had a die to cut hexies, would it serve the same purpose or is there more to Inklingo? I think I asked you this at our quilt group but I’ve forgotten.
CJ Tinkle recently posted…Orchard thoughtsMy Profile

Karen January 29, 2013 at 4:24 pm

No paper templates – your fabric is your “template” with the seam lines printed directly on it – you do not cut any paper rather iron the fabric directly to the freezer paper and the pattern prints onto the to fabric.
If you had a die cutter the shape you needed you would have the piece cut out but not the seam line for hand stitching

Penny January 29, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Thank you, Karen. Inklingo looks interesting, and having a stitching line would help accurate piecing.

Your next “Patchwork of the Crosses” is pretty.

Nedra January 29, 2013 at 6:30 pm

This is the coolest technique! I wish I could lock myself away for a week and play with Inklingo. Thanks for the tut :)

jmniffer January 29, 2013 at 8:20 pm

You make this technique sound so doable. I love that the stitching line is there, a must for a hand stitching beginner like myself. My question is where do you begin to sew a diamond shape together? From the middle hexie? From the top point? I will have to do some research, thanks for the idea.