Patchwork of the Crosses

by Karen on January 5, 2013

I managed to get one more block complete yesterday – two more blocks and I can sew another row onto the quilt bringing it to 5 rows by 5 rows (60” x 60”)  but that will be next week maybe.   Several people have asked me how to do Y seams so they turn out nicely – awhile back on my side bar under tutorials I posted some step by step photos of this under Lucy Boston, Patchwork of the Crosses.  If you go to step #9 and #10 you can see how I do these.  I believe this was a 3 part tutorial on how to put a whole block together.   I hope this helps.  It is very important to leave that seam allowance free in the corners as I show so you can “turn” your fabric.

This is the block finished today.

The next block

All of these waiting in line to be used.  I printed and cut more today.

I had such a headache for most of the day that I didn’t go exercise like I had planned. Instead I did manage to finish putting away the Christmas decorations and vacuum and wash the kitchen floor.  Finally in the middle of the afternoon the headache cleared up and then was when I got busy on the cutting of these pieces above.

I need to get back to work on the quilting of both quilts in progress as well – I haven’t done much quilting lately!

Nedra January 5, 2013 at 6:59 am

You sure get a lot done during a headache! Love love love those blocks.

Kim January 5, 2013 at 7:27 am

Wow sounds like the headache didn’t stop you for long. I need to clean up some around here today, and hope to do some more prepping on some of the quilts I want to work on this year. Really need to do some hand quilting. Haven’t touched that one in a while.
Kim recently posted…2013 ProjectsMy Profile

Doreen January 5, 2013 at 8:43 am

Did a bit of straightening around here, also. Left the snowmen out to “play” for a while longer (usually til around Valentine’s Day). Love the latest POTC…..so pastel, Spring-y….like sherbet! And those pesky ‘Y’ seams pose no problem IF proper attention is given to leaving the s.a. unstitched “beyond the dot”. Your explanation is very clear.
Doreen recently posted…A quick “finish”……..My Profile

Astrid January 5, 2013 at 10:49 am

Headache is never fun, glad to hear it cleared up. Lovely blocks. I plan to put away the Christmas decorations tomorrow. I need the dining table for sandwiching a quilt….. :)
Astrid recently posted…Nothing But UFO’s in 2013My Profile

audrey January 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for the reference to your y seam tutorial. I’ve been looking for something like that.:)

Penny January 5, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Before you know it you will have a quilt big enough for your bed. Your choices of fabric go so well together. Headaches are so pessy, glad it disappeared reasonably quickly.

CJ Tinkle January 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Headaches are never fun, I’m glad it went away. This is going to be such a gorgeous quilt, I’m so glad I got to see it up close and can’t wait to see it finished!
CJ Tinkle recently posted…Fat quarter heaven!My Profile