A Busy Sunday

by Karen on February 25, 2013

in Diamonds Are Forever, quilts, William Morris in Applique-Floral Fantasy

I decided yesterday to start another very easy baby quilt for Operation Home Front and with just a little work this morning the top will be done and I can set about machine quilting with straight lines – that is if I have enough batting – I have a king size batting that I do not want to cut into and two queen sizes battings ordered but haven’t arrived.  I have some pieces and I think there will be enough  of them to piece together.  Otherwise I will run to Hobby Lobby to get a small piece.  This time I broke into my box of 5 inch squares – and again – barely made a dent.  This baby quilt will be a 36 inch square – I think that is big enough for a baby quilt and can be used for nap time for several years really.  The bottom half shown is sewed together  = the top 4 rows are in rows but not together yet.  Very bright and colorful both pinks and blues and other colors so hopefully it will be felt it can be for either a boy or a girl.

Also although I haven’t mentioned the William Morris in Applique for awhile now I have been working now and then on the second block for Floral Fantasy – I just hadn’t been putting much time on it while I was working on the Rainbow quilt and the Patchwork of the Crosses trying to get enough blocks done to add more rows.  Not my best work on this second block – I found the brownish color and the yellow frayed very easily and I think I will be putting that whole packet of fabric aside for a different quilt – it doesn’t applique well at all.  I don’t remember where I got it – I think I picked it up in Hannibal Missouri on our last trip.  Plenty of other fabric to use in these blocks and I will make sure to pick something else out for the next block.

I was watching Downton Abbey last  evening and although I was only going to watch one show I ended up watching two of them.  After I finished up the Floral Fantasy block I really didn’t want to get started on the Patchwork of the Crosses rows so I got out the Diamonds are Forever hexies and made some more of them – I believe there are 21 or so in the box now.  A very long way to go on these as I need over 200 of them.

So what is everyone else working on today?  I don’t have much house cleaning to do as I actually did some yesterday and also on Friday – even laundry was done yesterday afternoon – I think I can actually sew as much as I want to today!

Sarah DiDomizio February 25, 2013 at 6:44 am

The baby quilt will definitely be cute! I’ve noticed a lot of “baby” quilts now are leaning more towards the brighter fabrics for both boys and girls, so I’m sure it will fit right in.

Great progress on the William Morris blocks! The dark background really makes the colors pop. :-)
Sarah DiDomizio recently posted…Stashbusting 2013 – Week 8My Profile

Teresa Rawson February 25, 2013 at 7:31 am

Oooo! I LOVE the look of those hexies! I really like reds, blues and cremes together. I hope you got a lot of stitching done…there is much housework to do, but I think I will ignore that and put in a few titches myself!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Doreen February 25, 2013 at 7:38 am

Local (small) quilt group tonight and a day at the pharmacy tomorrow. Quilted the small quilt made last week at the quilt workshop and will put the binding on today and wash it. Post coming later today. Then, on to the QOV I sandwiched on Saturday (along with the small, almost finished piecing). Must keep moving as I have a quilt, done by a friend for her grand daughter’s wedding the beginning of May, to stitch and 3 QOV from the larger quilt group to stitch. Then grandson’s grad. quilt to begin piecing. Whew! All that should keep me out of mischief!!!!!
Doreen recently posted…Promised pattern………My Profile

Joyce Barham February 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

I’m just waiting for the snow to come today. And, meantime, I’m working on several projects…making 4 patches for center of a 36 patch square, also sewing together triangle squares, and working on my modern log cabin quilt. And, can’t forget…as always looking for something new to start instead of picking up an unfinished project to finish. Have a wonderful day! I’m staying inside.
Joyce B.

Rachel February 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

What a nice bright baby quilt! Do you machine piece and quilt blankets that you will donate? I’ve been wanting to make a quilt for donation, but I’ve been worried that hand stitching may not stand up to washings and wear.

I’ve been working on penguins. :)
Rachel recently posted…Penguins in ProgressMy Profile

Penny February 25, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Two babies are going to feel cuddly in quilts now. Using your scraps up and helping others is good therapy.
After 36 deg C heat yesterday, today is 21 deg C and gentle rain, so I hope to do more FMQ on DS quilt and maybe inbetween that and ironing, sit in a comfy chair candlewicking.

Vivian February 25, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Isn’t it great to do small projects that are fast? Sometimes I just need to make a table runner or wall hanging or pillow just so I can feel the satisfaction of finishing something.
Vivian recently posted…Yippee!!!My Profile