Finished yesterday! what a fast finish it was for this little quilt which will be off to Texas when I get around to mailing it next week. You can see what Operation Homefront is about in previous post and I have put it on my side bar if you wish to go look and see what it is about.
But first a question on machines: I have been thinking of possible getting a new sewing machine – no bells and whistles – just something stronger than the one I have – more industrial I guess you could say – I have heard good things of the Juki TL98Q– any opinions on either machine? I just want a good straight stitch and strong enough to do this straight line quilting that I have a feeling I will need to be doing more of as my hands have more aches and pains. My Janome just isn’t a strong machine for quilting and I can hear the motor straining at times it seems.(it is a low end machine) I have no idea if I would ever get into free motion, but I do like the idea of straight lines or something that goes with the design of the blocks. Possibly try a little quilt as you go to see if I would like the look of it – I have heard mixed reviews on it. I will still continue to hand quilt as many of quilts as I can.
Machine pieced and machine quilted with straight lines by me and the quilting went really well this time – I only took out one line of stitches when I realized how crooked that line was getting – you would think I could do a straight line on the sewing machine – but it can be hard at times LOL. I was surprised my tension didn’t mess up once – normally that is a problem for me – not using adhesive spray really helped me I think.
All of the color squares were in my 3 1/2 inch scrap box – where I have all scraps cut into that size squares. The white I cut from the stash. The back was a pretty blue/pink/white moda print that I got on a close out sale some place and I pressed three pieces of batting together with the pressing tape for batting – whole quilt probably cost less than $15.00 to make and less than 12 hours to make. After it was washed and dried it measure 35 x 40 inches – just right for a little baby.
A simple straight line stitching. When I got it out of the dryer I couldn’t find any of the little puckers that I knew where on it. with that shrinkage it sure hides the little mistakes.
This little quilt took 4 days to make of off and on work – I think maybe I need to start an on line shop and sell some of these little quilts from my scraps