Background Fabric

by Karen on February 8, 2013

in Diamonds Are Forever, quilts

I brought various color fabrics with me this morning to audition for background for the Diamonds are Forever quilt –  the final decision is still way in the future – I might not start to put this quilt top together until all the diamonds are made.

White – the light color diamond shows just fine here – I don’t know why I was concerned – I was thinking it would be lighter than it is and it has enough beige in it that is shows just fine with a white background.

A mottled gray

blue

a kind of reddish/rust

Brown

Keep in mind of course that it would all be hexie size so laying them out on this piece of fabric you see a lot more of the background fabric than you actually would.

Out of all of these I still like the idea of White the best with the Brown second.  I don’t really want a really “dark” quilt though so I will probably go with white on white prints.

Archiethewonderdog February 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

I like the grey!!
Archiethewonderdog recently posted…Fancy a cuppa…My Profile

Robin February 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I like the white background too but the grey background speaks to me. *s*

Kellye Kimball February 8, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I like the brown. :)

Kelly Grace February 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I like the grey and the blue!
Kelly Grace recently posted…Odds and EndsMy Profile

Vicki W February 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Because it’s a traditional quilt I feel very traditional about it and like the white. But the brown is a very close second.
Vicki W recently posted…Dancing Stars UpdateMy Profile

Cathi February 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I really like the white for background. The cream hexagons really show up well against it.
Cathi recently posted…Tumbling Stars ProgressMy Profile

Heather February 8, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I like the white and the rust. Least is the grey. The rust would limit some of your fabric choices though. And yes, the light hexies show up well on the white. no worries there.
Heather recently posted…1000th Post Celebration – winners galoreMy Profile

audrey February 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

You’re right, the cream shows up very well against the white after all. Very subtle, but striking.:)

Dawn February 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm

The brown or the white has the best contrast to the blocks shown. You want the contrast to show the work off.

Judi February 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I agree with you – I like the white and the brown. The white is really striking. I think you would lose the definition if you went with cream. I’m a “darks” person though so brown is my favorite. I didn’t care for the blue, grey or rust because with each of those, one of the prints just fades into it. You lose the definition. The white and brown looks really crisp.

I’m working on a quilt with this exact layout, but my progress is much slower. (I have 5 kids, run a licensed home daycare which is open 24/7, and homeschool my children, so it’s no wonder – ha.) Mine is in turquoise/aqua, red and white. The last time I made enough progress on it to post about it was October (if you want to see the colors)

One thing I’ve been doing is to put my background fabric attached to one side so when I’m ready to put them together I just have to stitch the hexagon units together – not add more little hexagons. I’m using paper templates but I think your method looks much faster :)
Judi recently posted…Hold Onto Your HatMy Profile

Pip February 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I like both the grey and the brown backgrounds best, but I do like the idea of a white background with a muted print of some sort, I know you will make a good choice when you do decide.
Pip recently posted…Goodbye Ruby, and Hi Ho SilverMy Profile

Anna February 8, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Love the grey, but 2nd choice is brown

Gina February 9, 2013 at 6:00 am

Yep. White or brown would be my choices also.
Gina recently posted…BreadMy Profile

Astrid February 9, 2013 at 6:07 am

My first choice had been brown, then perhaps white.