Fabric and Progress on Hexies

by Karen on February 10, 2013

in Diamonds Are Forever, Inklingo, Lucy Boston--Patchwork of the Crosses, places, quilts

Yesterday Mike and I took a day drive – we drove over towards North East Arkansas to a town called Batesville which has Marshall’s Dry Goods.  I posted about this store  a couple years ago here.  I hadn’t been back to that area since then it is about 2 1/2 hours from us.  I have been running low on white and white prints and I was hoping to find some more really good deals on that type of fabric – but no luck – they had very little in white on white prints – darn – couldn’t let it be a wasted trip though so I bought some other things instead – 16 1/2 yards of fabric for $52!!  and 3 yards of that is a Riley Blake at 3.99 a yard – how sweet – it is the polka dot fabric in the stack below.  I know I said I wasn’t going to be shopping for fabric much this year but I meant full price stuff – not sale stuff Smile  my stash today – the top is a 2 yard piece of white that is 120 inches wide – they had pieces prepackaged I will be able to use it for the back of something.  The next from the top is a “moda marble” type of fabric with a pale yellow 3 yards I think.  The polka dot is Riley Blake 3 yards, the a 1 1/2 yard piece of white on white from the dollar table, then a 3 yard piece of a RJR? fabric and the red/white batik is 4 yards.  I do not know where all they get fabric from – some of it is good and some isn’t all that great – you have to feel it to know if you like it – I think anyhow as some will have a bit of a stiff feel to it – these that I picked out I liked.  I don’t always like to buy yardage with no plan in mind but I should be able to use these for something even if it is backs.

So that took up a big part of yesterday then last night I put Netflix on – I am watching 3 series on it right now, last night I watched 2 shows “Nikita” I am on the first season and I finished one more of the Patchwork of the Crosses blocks.

And I got started on another one –

Friday I made more of the diamond hexies – here are all of them up on the wall that I have done –  and thank you all so much for your opinions on the background fabric – right now I am leaning towards white – with the brown as a second choice.  I well decide on that much later.  I think I still need about 200 of these!!

On Friday I also got more quilting done on the Bow Tie Medallion – which I have not been doing a lot of work on – still having a little arthritis problem in my right thumb so I have not been able to get a lot of quilting done (at the quilting frame I tend to use my thumb a lot) – it doesn’t seem to bother me when hand piecing though as I do not use my thumb so much.  So I think this catches me up on what I have been doing the last couple of days – a little yard work was thrown in also – I was going to go to the fitness center on Friday afternoon but then changed my mind and worked in the yard for about 45 minutes instead two times.  I really need to start doing more of that.

So how is your weekend going – everyone out east digging out from the storm? hope you all have your power back on if you lost it – sure is too cold to be without it!

Ok I just proof read all this and I’m tired! I think I have done enough – I might have to rest today!!! LOL  (I doubt it – I don’t know how to sit and do nothing) Smile

Sarah February 10, 2013 at 8:58 am

I love the polka-dot fabric…so cute! I liked the white fabric you showed the other day for the background of your Hexie project. I think the white will be fine with the lighter hexie diamonds. The white is much lighter in color than the cream color you had on your ironing board. :-)

We spent most of yesterday morning cleaning out from the snowfall. We ended up with about 10″ of snow. Thankfully, the tractor did its job and was able to clear the driveway so we only had to shovel the sidewalk.
Sarah recently posted…Snow!My Profile

Nedra February 10, 2013 at 9:36 am

You always have so many fun projects going on. I love seeing the progress on the patchwork of the crosses.

Doreen February 10, 2013 at 10:51 am

Wow~those fabrics are great! The $$….incredible by today’s standards!! That is the thing my stash lacks—pieces of large yardage. I do have a little quilt/antique shop fairly close (22 miles) and she has some great fabric for $5.99/yd and 108″ wide backings (5 or 6 different bolts) for $9.99. A shop in Rochester, MN, called Mill End is a great place for deals but, again, a novice could be put “at risk” as some fabrics are of lesser quality. Good quilt progress on all fronts! Hugs……
Doreen recently posted…“Coral, Waves and Sand”……….My Profile

jan February 10, 2013 at 12:42 pm

there is no way you could pass up a deal like that! looks like fun.

Melanie Goad February 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Awesome stash, Mom. Too bad you didn’t find what you were looking for.
Melanie Goad recently posted…Bacon and Eggs–Lunar New Year StyleMy Profile

Gun Adrian February 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I like that excuse :) Not buying fabrics unless it is on sale! I mostly buy my fabrics at secondhand stores. If I happen to see a curtain with a fine fabric, I buy it! One day I´ll need it. Otherwise I can use it as backing or lining that doesn´t show :)
Gun, Sweden
Gun Adrian recently posted…InspirationMy Profile

Pip February 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm

That is a great excuse for buying fabric, must remember that, as I have said I will buy less fabric this year too. I’m finding that the yardage I have bought recently is proving more useful that I thought it would.
Pip recently posted…Goodbye Ruby, and Hi Ho SilverMy Profile

Penny February 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Haven’t had time to check in for days, and so much news to catch up on.

Days out like that are enjoyable. I’m sure those fabrics will eventually be put to good use especially at that price.

Like others, I like the white fabric for the hexi project. You are off to a good start on it, even though there is a long way to go still.

Astrid February 10, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Wow Karen! That’s a good buy! I think working in the yard is as good as going to the fitness center. I’ve been inside the whole weekend, quilting, except from a walk to/from the grocery store yesterday. Thunderstorms in the afternoons, so not much gardening has been done, it’s too wet.
Astrid recently posted…Progress on UFO’sMy Profile

Vivian February 10, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Well, I was just thinking about Marshall’s today. I really want to make a trip there this summer. Funny that I thought about going and then read that you had gone. Was the place still full? Did you notice if they had any good batting?
Vivian recently posted…Does it takeMy Profile

kaholly February 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I am just loving those Patchwork of the Crosses block, and was delighted to see that you have a tutorial for them!! Love ALL your work! ~karen
kaholly recently posted…Calling All Texas QuiltersMy Profile

audrey February 11, 2013 at 12:28 am

You always get so much done! Amazing. Sounds like you had a great shopping trip too.:)