Soup Recipe

by Karen on February 2, 2013

in Baking/cooking

A couple weeks ago at the grocery store I saw this cookbook magazine full of soup recipes and picked it up.  Most appear to be very easy to make and I thought I would try one out last night.

I didn’t have bowtie pasta but I had rotini so that is what I used in place of it.

Bow Tie Sausage Soup

1-1/2 pounds sweet Italian Sausage Links
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped in large chunks
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
6 cups water ( I used chicken broth)
2 to 2 1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Remove the casings from the sausage and cut them into 1 inch pieces.  In a Dutch oven brown the sausage over medium heat.  Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, drain and reserve two tablespoons drippings.  Sauté the onion and green pepper in drippings until tender.  Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer.  Return the sausage to the pan, stir in the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.  Serves 12

Now of course I always change things up just a little bit.  I actually simmered the soup without adding the pasta for about an hour to really mix the flavors in – then I added the pasta.  I added chicken broth instead of water as I thought that would give it more flavor and I think it had a lot of flavor.  If you use broth instead of water though the  salt could probably be cut down to 1/2 teaspoon or omitted to reduce the sodium although I did use low sodium broth – I still think lower sodium is better for you.

I loved it and will make it again.  I think I marked about 15 recipes in this magazine to try out.

Nedra February 2, 2013 at 7:52 am

Looks delicious. I made one the other night using sausage pulled out of the casings, too. This one was a Tuscan soup with potatoes and spinach and it was easy and really good.

glen in louisiana February 2, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Reminds me of minnestrone sort of. Or lentil and sausage soup. I love them all!

glen
glen in louisiana recently posted…Up and Out Early Leaves the Day For QuiltingMy Profile

CJ Tinkle February 2, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Looks good, I love soup!
CJ Tinkle recently posted…Orchard thoughtsMy Profile

Melanie Goad February 2, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I’m going to have to try this. I usually have most of the ingredients in the house.
Melanie Goad recently posted…Pork Roast Day 2My Profile

Jan February 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm

The soup looks delicious! I’ve added it to next week’s menu. Thanks!

Rita Larson February 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Karen,
I’ve copied your recipe to use later.. We love soup and eat most of our meals in the winter with a spoon..
Glad to see you scored with your pkg from down under.. I’m still waiting for the book to become availabe.. I have two others of hers, of course I also have not made any quilts from either, but I can’t wait to get my hands on the new one..LOL

Pip February 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Mmm, it isn’t really soup weather here in Australia so I’ll copy the recipe to try out in the cooler weather. Nedra’s Tuscan soup sounds nice too.
Pip recently posted…The List – monthly updateMy Profile

Astrid February 2, 2013 at 6:32 pm

That looks like a yummy soup. I’m not really a soup person, but I love soups with lots of ingredients.
Astrid recently posted…Nothing but UFO’s in 2013 – FebruaryMy Profile

Penny February 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm

We are great soup lovers here and yours looks inviting. Will save the recipe like Pip. Don’t know where Pip lives in Australia, but where we are, last Friday was a great soup day as it was so cool here, same today so far.

So glad your parcel arrived safely and that you like Lessa Chandler’s fabric.