90 Degree Hexagons

by Karen on March 23, 2013

in Inklingo, Lucy Boston--Patchwork of the Crosses, quilts

I was so busy yesterday.  I needed more hexagons prepped.  Each of the Patchwork of the Crosses blocks takes 48 – 90 degree hexagons – that is a lot of hexies to prepare!  But the end result is satisfying.

Finished one and have the next one laid out with some new colors in it.  I have 27 more of these to make I believe.

The finished one:

The next up to bat:

A small pieced hexagon finished on Thursday that I didn’t get pressed until last night to put in the box with the others:

How many of you are guilty of buying quilt books only to look through them, put them on the shelve, and then forget about them until someone mentions them on their blog?  Surely some of you out there do the same as I!  Someone mentioned a couple days ago on their blog – this book -  I’m sorry I don’t remember who?

and said something about pieced hexagons – got me to thinking – that book sure looked familiar but I had totally not remembered anything about it – how sad – I bought the book and forgot about it.  Lots and lots of information in it about hexagons – but you know what – I might have forgotten about it because it barely mentions anything about doing them by hand!!  It even suggest that you machine piece English Paper Piecing!!!  tell me it isn’t just me that thinks that is just plain wrong Sad smile   Now I know it is possible to do hexagons by machine but really you very rarely hear of anyone doing small hexies by machine – big ones yes you do hear that  – but not small ones.  I got the book out last night to look through it and maybe that was why I forgot about the book – or maybe I had bought several others at the same time and then got busy on something else and the book got put on the shelf and I forgot about it!!    I will leave it on the coffee table for awhile and go through it several times – it has a lot of hexie information in it – I need to read it – even though I do them by hand Smile

How do you keep up with your books – do you read them and remember them or do you have a bad memory like me and forget them.  Do you have so many that you have to occasionally look at your book shelf of quilt books, open them up in order to remember what they are about?

Elaine March 23, 2013 at 6:19 am

I have been known to buy a second copy after seeing a book on a blog, forgetting I already have one!
Elaine recently posted…Silk ShadingMy Profile

Astrid March 23, 2013 at 7:22 am

I don’t have that many quilting books… I love books and it happens when I take a rest I pull out one of the books to look at… I think I remember 99.9% of the books I have… :) I have never done English paper piecing, but the little I know about it; is it really possible to do that by machine?! Never thought of how many hexies that go into each of the blocks you are making – it’s a lot! :)
Astrid recently posted…Nothing But UFO’s – My goal for MarchMy Profile

Karen March 23, 2013 at 7:42 am

Elaine I too have bought a book two times forgetting that I already had one on the shelf.

Astrid it suggest sewing them from the top – glue baste on to paper, but the two pieces up next to each other and use a tiny zig zag stitch to sew them together.

Cindy C. March 23, 2013 at 7:52 am

I bought a “duplicate” of a magazine last month. Talking about crazy -I mean magazines come out regularly so you would have thought I’d of remembered buying it – nope. It went to DD.

Debbie March 23, 2013 at 8:04 am

I am glad to see I am not the only one who has bought the same book twice…too funny. Sometimes it is so fun to go through my sewing room bookshelf…I find all kinds of things I had forgotten about!
Debbie recently posted…American Quilts in ParisMy Profile

Karen March 23, 2013 at 9:14 am

I’m glad to see I am not the only one that has forgotten what books I have! We need to figure out how to keep track!

Sue March 23, 2013 at 9:27 am

Yes, I have done this more times than I care to admit. I wish I could say that my books are displayed nicely on bookshelves, but seeing as how I quilt in a spare bedroom, it doesn’t happen. So they are tucked in my ironing/buffet but organized by theme…civil war, antique quilt books, and traditional.

Yes, I think it is plain wrong to machine piece hexies and I’ve actually tried it and don’t find it’s any easier or quicker than doing them by Hand. This book is written by a gal who I think just prefers machine piecing and quilting.

Jessica March 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

Those are pretty. We don’t keep a lot of books around period, aside from the ton of children’s books that we need to go through at some point. Although I might hold on to those and put them in storage. At least those that meant the most when the kids were little.
Jessica recently posted…Creative Easter Egg DecoratingMy Profile

Judi March 23, 2013 at 11:07 am

I buy books with the best of intentions, but never seem to find the time to do the projects, so they just end up on the shelf.

I love that new patchwork of the crosses block you’re about to do. The red one. I think that’s my favorite color combo of the ones you’ve done so far :) I really like the turquoise ones too.
Judi recently posted…Silly Sayings, and Easy Tricks to Clean the KitchenMy Profile

Doreen March 23, 2013 at 11:22 am

DH and I have been reading each evening and I have been using that time to go through all the books I have on my shelves. I have gathered some together that are great but duplicate others so those go to one of my quilt groups for a “give-away”. Any that don’t go I take to the Salvation Army in La Crosse (WI). Sadly, I, too, have duplicated purchases (what’s that about!!!????!!!)…..the brain cells are definitely challenged! We are all so blessed with extensive quilt book libraries, generally! So many ideas and so little time!!! Hugs…….
Doreen recently posted…This says it all!!………My Profile

audrey March 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm

My quilt books are all on shelves in my quilt room but there are only a few that I return to again and again for information or inspiration. Most of the others are fairly neglected although I did get rid of several last fall that I knew I would never read again.

Crispy March 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hey Karen!!!! I had to scroll back to look at the POTC blocks you made. They are beautiful and you have done so many great “quick” quilts too. Sorry I have been gone so long….no computer. As for books, I’ve been away from quilting so long that when I get my mojo back, all my books will be like something new LOL.

Crispy

PS – I sure missed you!!!!

Karen March 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm

well it seems I am not the only one that forgets what quilting books I have! glad to know that I am not alone in this.
Welcome back Crispy – I have missed chatting with you :)

Heather March 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm

My mom and I share books, so it’s quite easy to forget about them. I would like to spend some time with each book and do a project from each and every one of them. First up is one of my Judy Martin books. I’m going to do the baby quilt sizes.
Heather recently posted…Weekend Cooking: Best Soup EverMy Profile

Karen March 26, 2013 at 11:30 am

Thanks for bringing up the Quilter’s Academy books. I have the first three, now I wish I had the senior year. I forget about them as soon as I put them on the shelf! I don’t know how to change that.
Karen recently posted…Mug Rugs Received!My Profile