Red and Green Progress

by Karen on June 30, 2013

in gardening, Red & Green Traditional Applique

Finally I have made a little progress on the Red and Green Traditional Applique quilt!  I was able to roll down the quilt a little bit yesterday – I can’t believe it took me almost a month to work all the way across this quilt!  Well I guess that is what happens when you are working on 5 different projects (at least) at one time.

This is the part that I finished up yesterday.

I will start here in the middle and work my way out now to get my lines in the right area.  It’s nice being able to see the first line of blocks now.

the first of one of the smaller sunflowers has opened and several more are getting ready.  I’m ready to see the first giant sunflower!

Here are more of them.  The tallest of the plants is over six feet tall now.

LOL now you can see how crowded they are – just like I said.  But that is ok – they are somewhat providing shade for the butternut squash growing below them but not enough as in the late afternoon the plants wilt horribly – I don’t know if I will get any growing to maturity – I have already had a couple tiny squashes fall off.

Nedra June 30, 2013 at 10:12 am

I’m sure it helps prevent from getting bored when you have 5 projects at a time that you are working on! And if you are like me, with a little quilters ADD, it’s nice to be able to move from one to the other.
Nedra recently posted…Do You Save Your Selvages?My Profile

Cathi June 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

I love seeing those sunflowers! I wonder if I could talk the gardeners into planting a few on the roof garden here? LOL
Cathi recently posted…Farewell, Google ReaderMy Profile

kaholly June 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Your quilt is looking great. Wish I had a nice frame like that to work on. Well, I do. It’s in the attic in TX. Wish it was here!! Your sunflowers are beautiful. I always remember too late to plant anything!
kaholly recently posted…The French Have ItMy Profile

Hilda June 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Love to see your hand quilting progress – can’t get enough pictures of that! The sunflowers are so cheery. I have grown some myself a few years ago – monsters they were – and they are still self seeding all over the garden now!
Hilda

Vivian June 30, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Sunflowers are such happy plants. They make me smile.
Vivian recently posted…“Burst of Color”My Profile

Astrid June 30, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Sunflowers are beautiful. Do you save the seeds for the birds?
Astrid recently posted…Postage Stamp Quilt (UFO) finished and my goal for JulyMy Profile

audrey July 1, 2013 at 2:09 am

That little bit at a time adds up though and you have the proof in all your wonderful hand quilted finishes!