Appliquick Tools

by Karen on October 29, 2013

Yesterday I traveled to visit my mother so I didn’t have a chance to answer comments – thanks for all the compliments on my red and black mariners compass that I showed.  I need to keep changing out quilts this year so they all get some use.

Seeing as I was traveling north to visit mom the Rabbits Lair was a place to stop and visit seeing as I have no local quilt shop here.  The Rabbits Lair is a nice unique shop in Rogers, Arkansas and it carries a lot of hand quilting/applique/EPP tools – so unlike most of the quilt shops that you normally see that cater to the machine quilter.  Some time ago  on some Australian, European and Scandinavian sites when I started the Love Entwined quilt (all applique) I started to see some applique tools that people were using that they swear helps you applique better – it is for preparing your applique piece.   The tools are called appliquick I started to look for them but could not find them sold in the US.  Finally I found a place and it was only 2 1/2 hours from me – how odd. (I bought no fabric! just the tools)  The link above shows them on Lynette Andersons site and how to use them.

The shop did have the scissors and tweezers that Lynette Anderson shows on her site but I’m afraid they were asking a bit too much at the shop for those.  For some reason these sticks  cost less than the other tools and it is the opposite on her website.  A lot of the pieces on Love Entwined are very little and I am using some different methods than I normally use.

The drive there and back to my mothers takes up almost 5 hours of the day so my visit is actually short – I stopped at the quilt shop first – then on to my mom and take her out to lunch and shopping – get caught up on any family news and general chit chat.

I brought the 9 Patch Quilt that I had just recently finished with me for her bed and brought her old quilt home with me to try to clean it.  I will show it later – I made it 18 years ago! wow big stitches without trying to do big stitch quilting Smile  It is so dirty on the edges I’m not sure if I will be able to clean it.  Mom is in a wheelchair for many years ( she will be 89 at the end of the year) and she does not have a big bedroom.  The wheels brush up against the quilt all the time making for a lot of black marks on a white quilt (but she won’t stop using it – she loves it).   The 9 Patch quilt lays across her bed well without hanging over the sides of the bed much so I don’t think that one will have the same problems.  I hope I have luck cleaning the old quilt.  I will need to take before and after photos!

Marianne October 29, 2013 at 5:53 am

I have discovered wool applique – no needle turning needed at all! My eyesight isn’t what it used to be, and while I still love applique, it can get stressful for me. I have a few Dresden fan blocks I’m working on now for a swap – they are about all I can handle.

I loved seeing your Mariner’s Compass – it is gorgeous. I agree about blacks and the fuzzies that they attract. But they can make for very stunning quilts. Right now I’m piecing a quilt with Moda Marbles black which is a little motley. So far, it’s attracting every loose thread in the house!

Sharon Sucher October 29, 2013 at 6:41 am

I love what you shared about your mom. Quilts are made to be loved and used and it sounds like she is doing both with the quilt you made her!!! I can relate to your quilting stitches….my first quilt was beautifully pieced, but I am so embarrassed about the size of the quilting stitches. I gave it to my parents for Christmas and they loved it. I’m looking forward to your reaction to the Appliquick Tools.

Thimbleanna October 29, 2013 at 8:29 am

Interesting — I haven’t seen those tools before. I’ll bet your mom was thrilled with her new quilt!!!

Nedra October 29, 2013 at 8:33 am

Glad you had a nice visit with your mom, and could see a nice quilt shop all in one trip :)
Nedra recently posted…Houston Quilt Market/ Day 3My Profile

Charlotte October 29, 2013 at 8:33 am

How sweet of you to take a new quilt to your mom and bring the other to be cleaned. I gave my daddy and his “new” wife a fan quilt which was taken to the nursing home. After both passed away the quilt couldn’t be found; either it got lost or her children took it, thinking she had made it. But ~ I’m not going to worry about it.
Charlotte recently posted…Learning From the ImpoliteMy Profile

Donna October 29, 2013 at 9:43 am

I’ve been wondering about those applique tools. Please let us know how well they work for you. Hope you can wash out the stains of your mom’s quilt–well loved quilts are special.

audrey October 29, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Good luck cleaning the quilt! Lovely of you to bring her a new one.:)

ria October 29, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I love those Apliquick-tools!! And I also teach how to use them in the quiltshop near where I live.
I’m an absolute fan!!!!! ;)
The trick to use them is to keep practicing! And very soon your will feel that they become kind of an extension of your fingers….. they really will…
Also I use Ricky Tim’s Stable Stuff Poly to work around. You can leave it in your applique and it will become a soft layer of fabric when it’s made wet. So easy!
Have fun using your tools!
Greetz, Ria, the Netherlands.
ria recently posted…De Love Entwined-Bee……!My Profile

Astrid October 29, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Interesting tools. I have booked marked it, just in case I one day want to do some appliqué! :) Glad you had a nice visit with your mom and that you will succeed in washing off all the marks on the quilt.
Astrid recently posted…Some more small items for the Culture / Christmas FairMy Profile

Glenda Australia October 29, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Best of luck with the cleaning of the quilt Karen, do you not have dry-cleaners that clean quilts where you are????? I have just popped in and looked at your last blog before this one and saw your black Marines compass quilt WOWWWWWW love love love it Karen. Cheers Glenda
Glenda Australia recently posted…WIP’s Wed 28th Oct with Esther ttp://www.estheraliu.blogspot.comMy Profile

jennifer thornton October 30, 2013 at 6:59 am

Hi there,
I used oxi clean (walmart sells it in small containers) mixed up in a basin and soaked the edges in it worked real well
I have also used peroixide mixed with water and soak the stained piece then rinse real real well
hope this helps you.

Belarmina Antuña October 30, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hola !!! tengo esta herramienta hace ya tiempo
y es una gran ayuda para hacer aplicaciones
especialmente cuando son pequeñas piezas
espero que las disfrute tanto como yo
saludos

Amy February 6, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Hello,
Can I ask what the name of the quilt shop in the US is where you found the tools?
Thanks!

Patricia Faye April 28, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I’ve been looking for the Appliquick Tools (the sticks) that you mentioned but I haven’t found any in the US either. Can you let us know what the quilt shop name where you purchased yours? I would love to get me a set.

DeAnna Mahle May 27, 2014 at 7:08 am

Do you have these tools available to buy?If not can you give me the location where you were able to find them? I saw them demonstrated at the Quilt Show in Lancaster, PA but the line was so long to purchase. I thought I would be able to find them sold in the US but have not located any place.

Patricia Faye May 27, 2014 at 10:08 am

I contacted Rabbits Lair in Rogers, Arkansas & they no longer carry the Appliquick Tools, specifically the “sticks.” I haven’t been able to find them online anywhere in the US. Maybe one day! I will continue to look for them.

Jeane Tucker July 4, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Where do you find the Appliquick papers in the States?
I live just on the east side of Memphis & saw these tools
from a friend at Quilt Guild yesterday. She bought them at the
Paducah quilt show.
Jeane

Patricia F Mc July 5, 2014 at 9:25 am

I found these tools at Little Quilt Store online. They aren’t in the U.S. but the postage is reasonable so I’m waiting to receive my order.

Karen July 5, 2014 at 9:58 am

The tools that I blogged about I did find in the US at a store in Rogers AR that I mention in my blog post – I have been since told that they no longer carry them