Scraps–Not Today

by Karen on December 30, 2013

in Common Bride, quilts, Red & Green Traditional Applique

I’m tired of posting about my scraps after 3 days or whatever of posting about them – I did finish clearing off that top shelf and I will show a photo of all the shelves cleaned up later – as I haven’t finished!  Today – maybe I will work on wire basket #4 but maybe not – I might need a break from it Smile  I had to put all the boxes back up on their shelf so they would be out of the way – because:

I finished the Red and Green last night!!!!  Last stitches taken – 198 hours of quilting – it was on the frame for 6 1/2 months but I took a 6 1/2 week break from it – all of September and part of October so that makes it 5 months of quilting.  Even though I still need to do the binding I am counting this as a finish for 2013 – 2 queen size quilts finished this year on the frame – that makes two years running – I’m pleased.

I got it off the frame last night and today I will trim the edges and measure for binding.  I’m not sure what I am using for binding – I think I have enough of the red sashing fabric but I need to get it down and measure.  I need to check a basket also and see if I had selected binding fabric and put it with the tops that need quilting – I sometimes toss all that stuff in that basket to keep aside.  I will post a better photo after it is bound, washed and dried.

So of course seeing as the frame was empty I had to put something on it right!  It just doesn’t look right empty and rarely is empty for more than a day or two after I take a quilt off of it.  The Uncommon Common Bride was waiting as I said I was taking it out of the hoop and putting it on the frame remember.

Now because this quilt had already been started in the middle I couldn’t load it onto the frame the same way – so here is how it goes–

I left all the basting pins in the quilt until after I had it completely on the frame – first finding the center I pin the batting and backing to the back roller – I didn’t remember to take photos until I had already taken pins out so that is why you see them gone in this photo.

Then I rolled it all the way up and found the center again and pinned the front to the front roller.

Then leaving the basing pins on the very edge of the top I started to remove all the basting pins from the quilt rolling it up as I went to get them all.  Then I rolled it all back to the back roller – pinned the sides to the side fabric that pulls it taunt.

Takes up a lot less room then the Red and Green did doesn’t it – should get done in no time flat now – the center is done – it is the borders that need the quilting!  I do not know though if I will work on it today – I might wait and start it next week – we will see – I know I will need breaks from working on binding so I will most likely start drawing the design on the borders to get them ready to quilt.

Last day for the end of the year sale at Craftsy going on now!  Sale Dates: Now – 12/30

Up to 65% Off Fabric at Year End Flash Sale at Craftsy

Up to 80% Off Yarn at Year End Flash Sale at Craftsy

Celia December 30, 2013 at 5:19 am

Congratulations, a big achievement and it looks great! Happy New Year with plenty of stitching in 2014.

Hilda December 30, 2013 at 5:33 am

Congratulations on a great finish – so nice to get the quilting done! It looks lovely.
Hilda recently posted…About time for a postMy Profile

Robin Palmer December 30, 2013 at 6:02 am

Beautiful work, I have enjoyed following along as you completed another masterpiece. Thank you for sharing and know that you have encouraged me to get back to my own stash and clean it up. I love scrap log cabin quilts and have be sorting my 2 inch strips into three bins; light, medium and dark. It is very liberating to clean up all the scraps! Happy 2014.

Sharon S December 30, 2013 at 6:43 am

Congratulations!!! Way to go!!!! You must be feeling so proud of yourself. Do you put all your quilts (machine/hand pieced, machine/hand quilted) through the washer and dryer? I am always afraid my hand pieced/quilted ones are too fragile.
I hope you have a blessed and happy New Year.

Angela December 30, 2013 at 7:33 am

Congratulations on a HUGE finish. Such a beautiful quilt and the quilting pattern is perfect.

Deanna December 30, 2013 at 7:40 am

Great finish! Being a hand quilter who uses a frame and hoop, it is good to know that you can do both on one quilt. I have never thought of doing what you did. It would certainly make doing the borders much easier! Thanks for the tip.

Kathy ... aka Nana December 30, 2013 at 8:31 am

Yay for the finish! It’s beautiful! I can’t wait to see it totally finished.
Kathy … aka Nana recently posted…Unexpected Slow StitchingMy Profile

Swooze December 30, 2013 at 8:55 am

Beautiful! I think I’d have to at least thread a needle and bury a knot on the next one!

Sarah December 30, 2013 at 9:14 am

Congrats on finishing the Red & Green quilt! Another finish for 2013 and just in the nick of time. ;-)
Sarah recently posted…Stashbusting 2013 – Week 53My Profile

Liz December 30, 2013 at 9:39 am

Congrats on the finish. Have loved watching your progress.

Liz

Chris December 30, 2013 at 10:34 am

Congratulations oh completing the Red and Green Quilt. You have been such an inspiration.
Chris

Thimbleanna December 30, 2013 at 10:46 am

WOOHOO!!! You’ve finished! Plenty of time still to get that binding on in this year ;-D. Congratulations!!!!
Thimbleanna recently posted…Gingerbread Houses 2013My Profile

jojo December 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

Congratulations! I got mine off the frame last night too. Do you wash and then put the binding on or bind and then wash?

melanie goad December 30, 2013 at 11:30 am

Congratulations, Mom–It’s beautiful. I can’t wait to see it in person!
melanie goad recently posted…Work in progressMy Profile

Vicki W December 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Fabulous finish! The quilt looks great!
Vicki W recently posted…REAL Studio Tour – Last winnerMy Profile

audrey December 30, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Yay!! So excited for you! Love your red and green quilt. It’s they type of quilt that looks amazing when hand quilting and you’ve done a fabulous job on it! The next one is going to go super fast in comparison as you’ve already done some work on the center.:)

Byrd December 30, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Congratulations! It is beautiful – you must be thrilled. I must ask you a bookkeeping question – how do you keep track of your hours spent quilting? I’ve kept a little piece of paper by my sewing box but I usually forget to log in the hours . . . take care, Byrd
Byrd recently posted…Film As FabricMy Profile

Joan good December 30, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Congratulations on finishing another beautiful quilt! You are inspiring me to try hand quilting one of my smaller tops (just to get my feet wet). I love the colors in this.

Kris December 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I love your red and green quilt. It is stunning. I have always wanted to make a large appliqué quilt. Great inspiration.

Carla December 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Yeah for you! Oh my, our red and green quilts do look so different. Isn’t it wonderful how we each made that quilt our own. Looking forward to your post about it on Celebrate Hand Quilting blog.
Carla recently posted…Slow Stitching Hexies!My Profile

Nedra December 30, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Congratulations on a finish in 2013 for your Red and Green quilt! Yes, whether it’s bound or not by tomorrow, it still counts. 198 hours: Wow!
Nedra recently posted…Alissa’s Skill Builder BOM 2013My Profile

Sandi s December 30, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Your quilt is gorgeous!

Astrid December 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Congrats on finishing the R&G quilt. It’s gorgeous! Interesting read how you put a quilt on the frame.
Astrid recently posted…A finished UFO and other small projectsMy Profile

Sakae Yoshihara December 30, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for showing beautiful quilts this year.Have a happy New Year!! :))
Sakae Yoshihara recently posted…Pantoufle·デ·brodeuse 1 My Profile

Kate December 31, 2013 at 6:00 am

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful quilt, what a wonderful feeling I’ll bet! I love Uncommon Common Bride, and think it will be a quick finish for you as you’ve done the middle already. Really enjoying following your blog, best wishes for 2014.

Mary Ann December 31, 2013 at 3:12 pm

WOW!!! What a beautiful quilt. I am truly amazed by someone that hand quilts. Have really enjoyed following your blog on getting this one done. Can’t wait to see the other one when that is finished.