We got about 2 inches of rain yesterday and the temperature jumped up to close to 50 degrees – wow a difference a day makes and now it is to be in the 50’s for the next 5 days or so – winter isn’t over by a long shot – I wish it was but I expect cold temps to come back the way this winter has been.

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my quilt.  I love doing applique and I have at least 4 or 5 more projects that I want to make where applique will be the main focus, one – actually make that 2 of them is from Deborah Kemball, I bought one of her books and a pattern – I would love to make both of them and get back to work on Love Entwined by Esther – but first I need to finish the Floral Fantasy by Michelle Hill.  Of course I will probably get back to work on Love Entwined at the same time.  I am trying to finish things though and not work on too many at a time – we will see how long that last, right now I am working on 3 things with one on hold.

Speaking of which the corners are now glue basted in place and ready for applique –  I will leave the rest of the border applique not on the quilt until I am ready for it as I would like to get these corners done first.  A lot more work to do on this one.

Here is the Red and Green laying on the floor at quilting today.  Everyone loved it and I love it too.  The quilt measures 93 inches – it shrunk between the massive amount of quilting that I put in it and letting it soak for hours, washing it 2 times and the dryer – it is still big enough to fit on the bed and that is what counts.  It has that lovely antique crinkly look that I love,  I have been asked I’m I planning on entering the quilt in a show – I never make a quilt specifically for a show, I don’t want the pressure and stress I make for me and my enjoyment.

The Red and Green laying on top of Joseph’s Coat – you can see the sides aren’t as long as I would like – but it is still plenty big enough.

This much of the Diamonds are Forever put together – I have an extra white piece in there LOL I just noticed it, I will be doing rows by the diagonal so when I get the next row ready to attach I will take care of that.   I have been working on this for about a week now I guess – I don’t know how often I will work on it but I hope to make steady progress.

I rolled the quilt Uncommon, Common Bride down on the hand quilting frame and got started on this area – it is coming along nicely.

Yesterday I  squeezed in finishing up the 4th wire basket of scraps!  I got it out the other day and it took me 3 days of work but I got that one done!  It wasn’t really hard to do this basket as a lot of the pieces were large enough to fold as fat quarters, all slightly smaller than a fq but I didn’t want to cut them small.  Now they just need to go in the proper boxes today and hopefully I will get busy on basket #5 which won’t have a lot of cutting as it looks like there are a lot of fq sizes in it.

The birds have been busy this week with the cold weather and as I sit in the sewing room I am constantly looking out to see what is around and to my surprised I saw blue birds! I rarely see blue birds – I don’t know which variety they are though – 3 on the ground and one more flying in for a landing.

A cardinal on an ice covered post.

I’m not sure what bird this is – kind of stripes on it, I don’t see it real often either – that is ice covered ground there from the storm on Wednesday night and Thursday.

And the feeders were ice covered again – but all was melted yesterday when the warmer weather moved in along with a lot of rain.

Hope the weather is treating you better wherever you are than it was earlier in the week.

__________________________________

Craftsy Block Of The Month

Conquer your fear of color with the 2014 Craftsy Block Of The Month! This FREE mini class introduces you to color theory with new lessons introduced over 2014. Sign up today to create a beautiful and colorful sampler quilt!

Not interested in quilting? Learn something new in 2014 with one of our many FREE mini classes! Try your hand at sewing, make a pizza at home, or learn to take beautiful family portraits. Commit to learning a new skill in the new year. Look at what you can learn for free here: Craftsy Free Classes

Jill C. January 11, 2014 at 6:10 am

Oh yes. You should enter quilt in show if only for the reason of letting others view it in person. Another reason is that this quilt will continue to promote hand quilting. There is no pressure as it is completed. Photo of the bluebirds was a treat. Lucky you had your camera.
Jill C. recently posted…Design Wall Ta Da!My Profile

Deborah an January 11, 2014 at 7:36 am

Karen, your Red and Green is incredibly beautiful. Congratulations. Your work is inspiring. Thank you for sharing photos and descriptions each step of the way. I learn a lot from you and really enjoy your site.

Liz January 11, 2014 at 7:57 am

Awesome and BEAUTIFUL. You are such an inspiration to keep us motivated.
Liz recently posted…Making Blocks With HelpMy Profile

Swooze January 11, 2014 at 8:39 am

No machine piecing project?? LOL!

Wanda January 11, 2014 at 8:48 am

What a treat that must have been to see the bluebirds. I’m surprised that they are around with the cold winter this year.
Wanda recently posted…Final decision…….My Profile

Nedran January 11, 2014 at 9:09 am

You always keep so busy with such wonderful things! It’s fun to see your progress.
Nedran recently posted…VanGot-It Stripes QuiltMy Profile

Connie January 11, 2014 at 2:42 pm

That is a beautiful quilt. I have really enjoyed watching your progress. Keeps me inspired to keep at my quilting. Thanks

Joyce Barham January 11, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Looked up the bird at Birds of Arkansas, Winter and it could be White-Throated Sparrow or a Savannah Sparrow.

Love the way your quilt turned out. Glad for a few days of warmer weather.
Joyce B.

Vicki W January 11, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Lots of rain here too which makes for some great sewing weather!
Vicki W recently posted…Quilt GlassMy Profile

Sharon January 11, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I think it is a sparrow that has the brown stripes. Bing it. Love your quilts. I envy those who hand quilt.

CJ January 12, 2014 at 3:56 am

Karen, your quilt is even more beautiful on the bed, I really, really love it! That last ice covered picture is amazing, it looks like something right out of a book :)
CJ recently posted…Lazy SpaghettiMy Profile

Kate January 12, 2014 at 6:34 am

Hello Karen, the Red and Green quilt is just stunning, you are so patient to quilt the grids and the effect is wonderful. Thanks also for the picture of the bluebirds, I’ve never seen one and it is always a treat when you post pictures of the birds. Still really enjoying your blog, you always inspire me to get on with my own projects!

Angie in SoCal January 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I’ve never seen blue birds – so thanks for the pic of yours. I believe that brown bird is a sparrow – jmg. Love all your projects! I, too, want to concentrate on applique this year. Thanks for sharing!
Angie in SoCal recently posted…Applique TuesdayMy Profile

Plum Cox January 15, 2014 at 4:27 am

Wow! You have been busy! Really love your applique quilts.
Plum Cox recently posted…First finish for the Year!My Profile

Karen Miller January 15, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Beautiful work Karen — you are so very talented. Just love the Red and Green quilt and your other work and quilting is amazing too!. Thanks for the bird pics — the Bluebird is an Eastern Bluebird – probably migrated there trying to escape the nasty weather north — but then you have it too! They love heated birdbaths here in my part of the country (Northeast). The last set of birds look like a variety of Goldfinches (upper left) and some sort of Sparrow (lower)…. thanks so much for sharing with us!
Karen
Karen Miller recently posted…A New Year of Work In ProgressMy Profile

Wendy Welsh January 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I just love your Floral Fantasy Karen. I really admire your skills. My mum has made two Michelle Hill quilts and really enjoyed doing the applique by hand. You have a lot to be going on with during the winter!

Carla January 17, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Wow you got a lot of rain. We were spared. I have bluebirds in my back yard also, just love them. Your applique quilt is stunning! I save my applique for summer when it is just too hot to quilt. I don’t enter quilt shows either, quilting it is just a creative journey for me.
Carla recently posted…Gotta love those finishes!My Profile

jennifer thornton January 18, 2014 at 11:54 am

Really wonderful quilts!! loved seeing them.

Glenda Australia January 19, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Karen what a feast for the eyes here today. Floral Fantasy corners are so lovely and soft in colour a wonderful contrast to the centre, very very cleaver use of colour. How lovely to see your red and green on your bed in all its glory. Your hexagons are growing fast I saw a photo where you have added the next row wow it looks stunning. How magical to see the blue birds they have a special place in my heart. Other wee stripy fellow looks like our sparrows. Thanks for sharing so many wonderful photo’s I feel like i have just dropped in to see you at your home. Cheers Glenda
Glenda Australia recently posted…WOW 16th Jan 2013 with Esther http://www.estheraliu.blogspot.com/My Profile