Checkerboard Quilt Done

by Karen on April 23, 2014

in gardening, Scrap Quilts from the stash 2014

Yes that is right – one more small top done and out of the way.  The Red and Black Checkerboard top had the binding finished and was washed and dried Monday night.  It was the first time I had used Hobbs Heirloom 100% cotton batting that I remember anyhow and it quilted beautifully – no struggle with the needle.

Here it is on the table.

Of course it is not a true “checkerboard” pattern but that is what it reminds me off.  I did just a very simple big stitch quilting with red thread in 3 inch squares, it was done in a flash – of course it is only about 41 inch square so that helped.  I don’t know about you but quilting “dotty” fabric especially in black makes me kind of dizzy!  Now I will get back to work on the last border for the Granny’s Got Style quilt (not that much left to do) and the applique for Floral Fantasy.

Work continues on Patchwork of the Crosses.  I am linking to Freshly Pieced Modern today and Sew Fresh Quilts.

Tomato cages are now on the tomato plants – what a difference in price from one store to another for these fairly inexpensive things that we use to try to contain our plants and keep them upright.  One store had colored cages now – red, green, blue and yellow for $6 each – the plain metal were $2.98 to $4.98 – at Lowe’s and a low $1.98 at Wal-Mart – you guessed it I got mine at Wal-Mart! I probably have these planted way to close together and well regret it later but I have a small space and I can not dig up more and have a hard time taking care of this much as it is.

One more variety of daffodils still showing up – I think this is the last of them.

Vicki W April 23, 2014 at 7:51 am

It’s a sweet quilt!
Vicki W recently posted…Nest Box WatchMy Profile

Nedra April 23, 2014 at 8:44 am

Congratulations on a finish. That is always a nice feeling.
Nedra recently posted…Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild/ AprilMy Profile

Teresa Rawson April 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

Congrats on the finish and the continued progress on the Cross’s hand quilting. It’s still a little risky around here to plant anything…it is currently 40 degrees…
Teresa Rawson recently posted…Removing the cat from the quilt…My Profile

c April 23, 2014 at 10:05 am

Checker board quilt looks great! I actually made a checker “board” with fabric. Great for taking places to play. But you gave me the thought to make another one..this time much nice prints like yours and maybe have an eating area to the side for snacks!

audrey April 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Congrats on your sweet finish!

Doreen April 23, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I so love the simple quilting lines on the “Checkerboard” quilt…along with the color choice for the thread. Cozy and home-y (as I sit in a slightly chilly/cloudy Midwest corner of MN!). My daffodils haven’t even gotten to the “thinking about” stage of blooming yet!!! LOL! Still waiting for 2 consecutive warm days. Hugs……………

Kathi April 23, 2014 at 3:26 pm

congrats on your finish! It looks great… as does your garden and flowers :) Kathi
Kathi recently posted…Showing off MY space … and some DEALS!My Profile

Victoria April 23, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Hi Karen! Tonight I’ve looked for your daily post in my mail but again no post from your blog which I found extremely strange as it was happening so for a few days. I thought my email address had been erased by blogger, wordpress, etc so I’ve tried to subscribe again to your blog but it says “you’re already subscribed”. I don’t understand and I think I’m not receiving posts from other blogs I’m subscribed. Do you or any reader know what’s happening?. Many thanks!
Victoria recently posted…Cómo quitar el esmalte de uñas de la madera, la tela, el pelo y la alfombra/ How to get nail polish off wood, cloth, hair and carpetMy Profile

Mary Ann April 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Checkerboard quilt looks great on the table. I have really enjoyed seeing all the beautiful flowers on your property. Here in North Dakota we have quite a few weeks yet before start seeing any plantings. I live in an apartment so I do a geranium garden on my deck each year. Getting a wonderful rain today. I love the smell of rain!

Lorna McMahon April 23, 2014 at 5:06 pm

The red and black checkerboard topper graces your table just right! Love seeing your garden. Our weather is not that warm yet. Still using the wood stove at night!
Lorna McMahon recently posted…Let’s Bee Social #17My Profile

Marianne April 23, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Here’s a tomato growing suggestion for another year. Take some wire fencing and make a circle with it. Fill with grass clippings and other compostables. Plant your tomatoes around that circle – 4 plants, maybe – and keep putting compostables into the circle. They should grow really well, and you can stake/tie them to the fencing without needing tomato cages.

Love the way your black/white/red quilt turned out! It looks really cute on the table.

Lisa Mikel April 25, 2014 at 11:19 am

Your checkerboard quilt is very lovely! Congratulations on its finish!