Quilting and Yard Work

by Karen on April 21, 2014

in gardening, Lucy Boston--Patchwork of the Crosses, quilts, Scrap Quilts from the stash 2014, weather

I have been so busy with the yard work for weeks now and I’m so pleased to say that I am about finished with most of it!  The power washing is done, little garden planted, grass cut and the tick/ant pellets are spread.  Man was I busy yesterday with being outside – it is now staying steady in the 70’s daytime so nice and comfortable – I was out for a a good lot of the day – when I came in inside to either cook or rest I would pick up the Red and Black Checkerboard table topper and do some big stitching and I finished it – and even have the binding machine stitched down – now to do the hand part.

Patchwork of the Crosses has had some progress as well in the evening.

Pretty much all cleaned up now – if you go back a post or two you will see how nasty it was.  If you have never used a power washer before and think you might – make sure you have on old clothes – preferably jeans to protect your lower legs as it kicks up a lot of dirt and crud – if you get too close to your legs it will sting –  old crappy shoes too!!  I learned all this the last time I did it about 3 or 4 years ago.  I had to go back later and spray all my plants off as they were nasty dirty looking even though I tried really hard to avoid them.  I was really glad to get done with that job and when I started it I really didn’t think it would take me close to two weeks to get it accomplished.  I want to put some more flowers around the edges of the garden and need to pick up more annuals.  This is about the only place I plant them.

The Lily of the Valleys are just now starting to open, this is the first I saw

The Hosta’s are opening up full

Pink azaleas – this is the early of the two varieties I have that are pink, the other is just now getting ready to open.

The white ones

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don’t forget – the sale continues through today at Craftsy!  – get those fabrics and yarn that you are dying for and thank you to all that order through my blog links – I appreciate it.

Craftsy’s BIG Easter Sale: Up to 75% Off on selected items.  Craftsy is now carrying Jinny Beyer’s fabric line, they also have Amy Butler, Kona Cotton, Stonehenge, Moda, R. Kaufmann, Riley Blake, Joel Dewberry and Tula Pink  just to name a few.

Enjoy up to 75% off all Yarn with Craftsy’s BIG Easter Sale happening now!
Enjoy up to 75% off all Fabric with Craftsy’s BIG Easter Sale happening now!

This sale is only during Easter weekend (Friday 4/18 – Monday 4/21 at 11:59pm MDT), so be sure to jump on it quick or you will miss it.

**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links

Thimbleanna April 21, 2014 at 6:54 am

Looks like spring is in full swing in your neck of the woods — daytime temps in the 70s sounds heavenly! We have two days of that, then a cold front moves in. And by cold it will be in the 50s — very welcome after the freezing temps we’ve been having. Your yard is looking beautiful!

Rhonda R April 21, 2014 at 7:38 am

Lucky you being able to get outside and work in your yard. The weather here in Wisconsin hasn’t been very cooperative this spring! Your flowers and hostas are lovely. The quilts are beautiful too! :)

Charlotte April 21, 2014 at 8:08 am

Your flowers are looking great! My hosta was damaged by the frost a few nights ago. I’ve put a few things in pots on the porch, hoping to avoid problems with the dogs. Keeping them watered? Sometimes I forget!
Charlotte recently posted…This and ThatMy Profile

terri henderson April 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

I love love love your lucy boston. your hand stitches are amazing. and your flowers are nice too

Nedra April 21, 2014 at 10:53 am

Your yard is looking beautiful! You must be so happy Spring is finally here.
Nedra recently posted…Carrot Patch CookiesMy Profile

Debra April 21, 2014 at 1:33 pm

70’s today here too…then here we go again….down to the 30’s tomorrow night. That’s alright….not the LOW thirties ; don’t have to cover anything with a blanket on this round! :)

Those lily of the valley flowers are so pretty! And you can show your azaleas every day…never get tired of azaleas :)

Have a good one! :) Congrats on your cute table topper finish! : )

Kathi April 21, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Loving all your garden pics… and so excited you got your checkerboard quilt finished… it is a table topper right? Now to get the binding sewed down!!! Glad you are about caught up on what all the winter did to ya! Kathi p.s. Azaleas must not like not getting too cold because mine have yet to bloom like yours! lol
Kathi recently posted…Monday ~ Goal setting again!My Profile

Marianne April 21, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Your garden is looking great, and the walks are so nice. You tackle your garden like you do quilting – and you get so much accomplished! My hosta either got winter-killed or are slow to come up. I hope it’s the latter. My daffodils have buds that should pop in a week or so. Can’t wait!

Carla April 21, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Isn’t it nice to have things clean. I sprayed down siding and the patio today. Also divided up some perennials. No stitching done today as then I had to do some inside cleaning . Love the decking you have around your garden. What a great idea.

Astrid April 21, 2014 at 8:06 pm

No doubt spring has sprung at your place! Beautiful flowers and you’ve been busy – outside and inside. Great progress on the quilts.
Astrid recently posted…WIP’s and a couple of finishesMy Profile

Lin Marsh April 22, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Your decking looks fabulous! Great job!
And the quilting hasn’t suffered a bit either.
Lin Marsh recently posted…The Quilt MobileMy Profile