I am amazed that less than 4 months after I put Patchwork of the Crosses on the frame that I was taking it off and had it binded in 3 1/2 months after I started the quilting. It is smaller than I would like – I realized after it had been on the frame for awhile that I might have mis-measured and I should have made the border larger. After it was washed and dried it shrunk down to 86” x 89” a bit small for my queen size bed that has a deep mattress – BUT—it will fit the bed in the camper! I will still use it and of course it can be tossed on top for an extra covering in the middle of the winter in the house also. I really don’t know how I measured wrong but I did. 440 hours of hand work on this baby! 140 hours to quilt it and 300 hours to piece it – yes on this one I kept track of time. I made it using Inklingo which makes hand piecing a breeze.
As you can see it barely covers the mattress! that is the sheet hanging over the edge and barely anything over the foot of the bed. But I still love it!!
Puckers pretty on the side and the side hexies kind of puff up a little bit.
Here are some of the blocks close up
The back is a plain white muslin. I used King Tut variegated thread in lively colors to match the piecing.
I rarely prewash my fabric unless it is red or indigo blue – that type of color (or dark batiks any color) – rarely ever have problems with this light of color batiks – but it is a good thing I threw in color catchers – no bleed onto the quilt but look at these – if I had not used them! Started on the right side is the first two from the first wash – I washed 4 times and two catchers each time – I was satisfied with the last one. On this screen I can’t tell but the last two were barely tinged blue and that was ok for me.