77 for a high temperature yesterday in the middle of July – rarely seen here in Arkansas and we might actually get down to 58 last night! Talk about nice.  It was all about wandering around the yard and windows open while doing some sewing as well.

This is my big acorn squash plant that has taken over one of my log planters.  We always had acorn squash planted in Wisconsin where I grew up but I never tried it here in Arkansas – and where hardly anything in my garden has grown well this summer these plants have just taken off and I have about 8+ squash growing on them.  Now well they be ready for picking before we leave? That remains the question – I have two that are very green but I am not sure when they are considered ready!

Here is the oldest and greenest of the squash – do I have to wait for them to fall off or just twist them off – I need to google and find out!

Here is another – these are about the size of a man’s hand I guess – about what you see in the store.

Between too much rain and forgetting to water in between I guess the flowers are not doing too badly.

The roses have not been real prolific this summer but enough to be pretty.

The poor looking apple tree with the leaves and branches nibbled down from the deer – I wonder if it will look any better after it stays protected for awhile.  Looks kind of poor now.

Lilies all over the place like usual.

I did get some more 16 patch blocks done, 3 more blocks and I think this well be about 48” x 48” I might do about 2 more rows in length and it will be a good baby size.  I had to get into my box of white scraps and cut more 2.5 inch squares I had run out of them.  Linking to Lee’s Freshly Pieced Modern today and Lorna’s Let’s Bee Social.

Two hours of quilting on Monday night had me just about finishing a row on Insanity Revisited so I could roll it down – I will have finished the row last night and roll it down this morning I’m sure.

And a little more on the last of the long rows of Diamonds Are Forever– It has been suggested to take the last bits along to finish on the road and attach it to the main body of the quilt when I get back – I might just do that – depends on how much is left to do.

Another nice day today and I have the whole day to fill in – I was supposed to have an eye doctor appointment this afternoon and they cancelled on me yesterday afternoon like they have done several times in the past,  now I have to wait until just a couple days before we leave when I’m super busy – I hate it when that happens.

Nancy Ratliff July 16, 2014 at 9:58 am

Ah, you people that can do it all are amazing. Beautiful garden, lovely piecing and hand quilting.

Connie Campbell July 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

Your squash look great! I have never planted any but I’m sure you’ll find out info by googling. I always love seeing your hand quilting…..beautiful!
Connie Campbell recently posted…We will miss you Pelly!My Profile

Carla July 16, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I like to wait till fall and the leaves whither and dry up, they keep much better that way. It was 60 degrees here this am, I haven’t heard the air come on yet? Bring it on we deserve it after the last couple of years.

Rachel July 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm

What a pretty rose. None of my rose bushes are doing very well this year. Some didn’t even flower. Lovely quilting on Insanity Revisited!
Rachel recently posted…An Interesting Day at the BeachMy Profile

Belarmina Antuña July 16, 2014 at 5:30 pm

La planta de las calabazas son preciosas y espectaculares
me gustan y me gustan todos los platos que se pueden cocinar con calabazas
solo un año me creció una planta, puse la semilla en una maceta grande en la terraza
y creció tanto, que pasamos el verano sin poder casi disfrutar de nuestras sobremesa todos los días salia una flor nueva llego a tener 19 flores pero solo una fue hembra así que solo tuvimos una calabaza
y llego el momento deseado de cosecharla y yo no era capaz de cortara la para cocinarla así que no he vuelto a plantarlas.
Preciosas las colchas
¿pero cuanto coses?
saludos

Lisa Mikel July 17, 2014 at 12:55 am

When acorn squash get some yellow color on their bottom and they are dark green and the stem starts dying they should be ready. In MN here I like to pick them after our first frost but yours should be ready before then. Good luck!

Victoria July 17, 2014 at 2:18 am

Hi Karen! in Valencia July is being a strange month. At the beginning of the month it was not so hot, in fact it was a late spring which is absolutely unusual here now it is hot (yesterday at 5 p.m the temperature in the street was 36ºC!!) and it gets hot during the day but temperatures by night are OK. We’re in summer anyway!. I also hate when doctors cancel medical appointments as sometimes is difficult to find another day to fit it. You’re a busy woman with all that sewing going along. Love!
Victoria recently posted…Una canción y mi manicura-pedicura de verano para esta semana/ A song and my summer mani-pedi for this weekMy Profile

Nita July 17, 2014 at 10:43 am

Your garden is lovely, and oh! That red and white quilt!

Peg July 17, 2014 at 10:56 am

For your squash you have lots of good advice just want to add your thumbnail shouldn’t be able to make a mark in the skin. Wish I had your energy and organization!