Yes finally back to this Postage Stamp quilt with the zillion little pieces in it. I am going to be trying to rotate projects out every couple days or weeks so that all can get some progress going on them. Yesterday I had the borders cut out but I knew I needed to find out how many clamshells I needed for each of the two borders. How many more did I need to make!
I started by laying out the border on the cutting table and begin to just lay the clamshells out starting in the center so they will line up right – I need to see how to mix up these colors. Once all the shells are in place I will glue baste and applique in place. I had thought to possibly use the machine to stitch them in place – but knowing me it will look neater by hand. Before doing the stitching though I need to decide where the stems will be as I need to leave openings for them so they will be “springing out of the grass”.
I ended up pinning one long row on the border and laid it over the quilt on the frame so I could count and see how many in this first row and how many will be needed for the second row. If I counted right I need 65 pieces for each border – I will make some extras just in case so I won’t have to go back to making more if I do not have enough to mix the colors up well. That will give me two rows of “grass” for the flowers and stems to spring out of for the border.
So I need to cut this whole stack of greens out still before I have enough. I plan on prepping all the clamshells before sewing so that I can mix the colors up good between the two side borders.
Winter Wonderland – I found a stencil in my stencil stash for the narrow border before the embroidery center. I don’t use stencils a lot but this one fits almost perfect in the areas – I need to stretch it out just a little bit in between the trees to make it fit right. And the theme is right – Xmas trees and snowmen – what could be better.
Fits good and this is all the quilting that will be in this border.
In the embroidered area just one inch diagonal lines, I am not stitching over any embroidery but slide the needle under the red thread. I am using a beige variegated King Tut for the trees and the embroidery area.
And last but not least after I got all my organizing done on Tuesday I realized Wednesday morning that I had not put the Love Entwined quilt in a project box – I know – well this quilt ever get done? It really is one of those projects that will last years and years and will it ever be finished? Well I ever want to finish it? I really don’t know at this point but I thought I would put the pattern and the medallion center in a box and leave it be for now. I didn’t put any fabric in with it it has a lot of beiges, pinks, turquoise some muted reds etc, I’m sure I can find more in the stash to blend in with them if I need to – right now the plan is to one day just finish the 3 flower bouquets (there are four) that need finishing and the center will be done and at this point I really doubt it will go any further – just applique the darn stems and flowers in place and some day call it quits!
Some of you might have heard of the bad storms that hit Arkansas once again yesterday, we were far enough north and west that we didn’t get the worse – once again we have been lucky – we only had about 3/4 inches of rain and none of the tornado warnings that the central & south part of the state got.