Well I ended up with only taking about 2 days off of quilting but Saturday night I couldn’t help it, I sat down and started to quilt again – I didn’t do it for a real long time so my fingers didn’t bother me. So a little more progress on Wagon’s West. Still working on the first border and will be for another night or two or three. This is a much smaller quilt than normal though and I will only need to roll it down one time and the half way point will be up at the top of the frame.
These three whimsical flowers for the Postage Stamp quilt border are fused in place using the Lite Steam a Seam 2 and I think I will like it although I have not stitched these down yet they felt like it would work ok for hand stitching. The cotton flower motif on the orange flower will be needle turned – I thought I would try it as Wendy Williams shows many of her flowers done this way. The other flowers will have the stitching done with the embroidery thread and maybe some French knots in the center of the burgundy center.
For Handful of Scraps – I intended to work more on it yesterday then what I did – I did get the hexie out in the middle there that was too dark for my taste in that particular area and I took two more off of the lower end – now I will need to set up working at the table or somewhere that I can put the center of the quilt down and then chose neutrals with more care as I go around it so I don’t need to remove more pieces – it will just take a little more thought then I thought I was going to give color placement. I am linking to Em’s Scrapbag this morning and Cooking Up Quilts and I found a new link up (new to me) Bit’s n Bobs from Tasmania.
It was such a gorgeous weather day yesterday that I spent some time off and on trying to weed a huge flower bed and decide what I was going to do with the overgrown space. It is one of those type of beds that have gotten out of control and you no longer like it. I started to pull weeks and tiny trees out of it and about gave up when I started to find poison ivy in places as well. I then got the week killer out and started to spray areas. What survives will survive and in the fall I am going to be digging out purple coneflowers & black eyed Susan’s and whatever else that doesn’t die from the spray! I will then transplant to different areas and dismantle this large bed that is in an area that I no longer want. So I will deal with it in the fall – it is too close to the hot weather season that transplanting doesn’t always work out well at this time of year here. The plants will have a better chance of survival if I do that in the fall. It looks like Mike’s contract job will go through the end of the year so if we take any kind of vacation it will be short and I will have time to work in gardens in the fall for a change – that is normally when we tend to travel out west. Summer’s hot weather does me in too quickly and I can’t do heavy garden work in that season – the heat and humidity just wipes me out.