After watching a couple suggested video’s on how to do the “flange” binding for Wagon’s West that I wanted I kind of ended up doing it my own way as I like to hand stitch binding down and all the examples were for the whole thing to be done by machine stitching and didn’t want to try machine stitching and ruin it which I might have done! If you go to yesterday’s comments you will see links to video’s from several people if you wish to see them.
I cut my print strip at 1.25 inches, folded, sprayed with starch and pressed in half and then sewed it down with a scant 1/4 inch seam.
My binding was cut at 2.5 inches, folded and pressed in half and I used a 3/8inch seam to sew that down on top of the print.
I have 2 sides stitched down and this is what it looks like – here is one corner. For the print I sewed it on as you do binding for a mitered corner but you just leave it as a straight edge if you know what I mean and put the binding on top and that has the mitered corner to it.
And as the print changes of course as you have a bit of a different look as you go around the quilt.
I like it! I should get the hand stitching done today and then it can get washed, dried and more photos taken.
One leaf on the wool border for the Postage Stamp was worked on a couple days ago – some of these flowers will be changed up as I didn’t care for them after I cut and all will have embellished stitches on them to dress them up a bit. This lot I had tried glue basting – didn’t work LOL as you can tell by the pins.
Hard to get a photo of the quilting on The Final Frontier (yes from Star Trek) on this one – it doesn’t show up well unless you get close to it. Almost half way across the first section.
One of the circles