We have been trying to get done with as much outside work as we can this fall before the cold weather comes and would you believe the outlook for the week is around 80 daytime and nights in the high 50’s-mid 60’s – at the end of October! Cold weather not coming this year until November I guess – ok with me saves on the heating bills.
In between working outside I was putting the border together for Williamsburg Beauty. I thought I had measured right but I hadn’t and needed one more neutral border. If I hadn’t added another strip around the diamonds would be resting into the brown border which was too close to the print – it would have clashed something awful.
Now the diamonds are all pinned to the border but not evenly spaced – I hope to get to that today – but I might not – I have a hair cut appointment and need to run to Wal-Mart before I head home, laundry to do to. Melanie is coming over for supper this evening too – so I might not get to the diamonds. I will need to spread the dining room table out to work on it so I can evenly space things before glue basting in place.
The diamonds will take awhile to work on so I will have plenty of time to think about the next step for this quilt – next border most likely brown if I can come up with enough of it. Right now the quilt is about 54 inches I believe. I had not planned on 3 strips so now that beige strip is almost covered up – but there you go I’m not changing it now.
This flower bed is almost all dug up! progress
The big bulbs collected up so far – my foot is a size 9 so that might show you the size of those bulbs. I have at least 2 more big ones in the bed and maybe 3 more small ones? Something like that.
The area that we started to work on a couple months ago – the deck is now extended a couple boards from where the old flower bed cut in on the corner. Cement steps and next is a cement sidewalk in front of that which main point is to channel heavy water drainage to the draining area that I couldn’t get a photo of today as Mike had the riding lawn mower and trailer parked over it. One of the main reasons for the cement work is to keep water from going under the deck – too much at times with our heavy rain we get in the winter and spring. I’ll take more photos when we get it done.
This photo from late August shows at a different angle how the flower beds cut into the area by the deck. We didn’t need to add many boards but about 4 to 6 I guess. Now it is straight and cement steps – the drainage area is improved but much more work to do. Taking awhile to do as their has been so much digging to do, transfer plants around, pull out railroad ties, move a rock garden – yes it has been work! I try to do as much as I can but I know I’m really not doing that much.