I figured if I was going to make much progress on the Retro Air Ship Propeller blocks I needed to make some decent templates. I have been using freezer paper – iron to fabric- draw on a seam allowance and then cut with scissors. This process is not bad if you plan on just doing one block at a time as I have been doing now and then – but if I am going to make better progress with it I need better templates so I can stack fabric picked out for more than one block at a time and cut about 4 pieces at a time. Looking through some pieces that I had put aside for templates I found some light cardboard and got to work. Taping a piece of the freezer paper templates to the cardboard then drawing a seam allowance on them – got out a duller rotary blade that has been set aside I got to work cutting them out – turned out pretty good maybe this week I can get busy! Here they are in the box with the blocks. (the two templates in the middle are for the outer edge pieces – I put a 1/2 inch allowance on the pieces that face the edge of the block so that I can trim up when finished – otherwise my blocks always end up too small.)
One more hexie done – 3 of the 8 needed for Handful of Scraps to “square” it up I put quotes on that as it isn’t actually “square” but as close as you get.
Laid out on the floor you can kind of see how it will go. Linking to Esther’s Quilt Blog today
Then it was time to relax with a cup of peppermint tea and try to forget my jaw was hurting from the dentist appointment earlier in the day and read a book – I sure hope my mouth is back to normal Tuesday (today) so I can get busy with basting Scrappy Stars!