Not a lot of work done yesterday on quilts. It took awhile just cutting fabric, measuring large pieces, figuring out borders for miter’s and such – is a big problem for me at times! Math is not my strong suit. Here I have things laid out on the table just looking things over and playing with hexies to get ideas. I might do a chain of hexie flowers or chains of hexies with no apparent design in it – if you understand what I mean. those pieces laying out have seam allowance on them so much larger than they would be when sewn together. The first step now that fabric has been cut will be to glue baste and then thread baste one side at a time to the border – Pin first so things do not shift then glue baste after that with the largest stitch on the machine I might got ahead and do a running stitch to hold it in place better while I applique in place. I will be doing one side at a time and leave a couple inches not finished where the corners will be done.
Corners are just folded over in this photo while I had it all laying on the floor to make sure the pieces all fit – that is where the corners will be mitered. Keep in mind that it looks plain right now but there will be lots of color added still. Look on it as an almost empty canvas! More well be added – really! Linking to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts.
I could go with a border something like this in the colors used so far in the piece shown in this photo that I found on pinterest about 8 to 10 inches out from the center design all around making a rectangle. Right now the center is 48 x 52 I believe with the border fabric attached it will be around 92 x 98 – something like that I don’t have the numbers sitting next to me. If I did something like this it would be possible that I would do it twice – another one close to the edge. Something to think about while I stitch the center rectangle in place. Do any of you have photos of borders that would look good on this hexie quilt – they could be other shapes involved I’m always willing to look!
A little more work on the Postage Stamp quilt was done as well – almost done with this second from the last row – getting closer and closer to the finish line.