It’s coming together!! I decided yesterday after I made the final two blocks that I had cut out to dig out the portable design wall and start putting the blocks up to see what I had. First of course I had to remember where the heck the portable design wall was!! With everything packed away in various places while the sewing room is being redone I thought it was probably in the closet – not! Where oh where was it – finally remember I had put a box of things in the workshop – got my jacket – it was cold outside – and heading down to look. Found it!
Right now I am sewing diagonal rows together. I had three left over blocks – this wall is only 75 x 75 so it will not fit a queen size quilt on it. I thought I would put my diagonal rows together and then decide if I want it larger – if I do then I just sew more blocks on the ends of the rows. As you can see I decided to not add sashing.
I thought the way the blocks are put together created interesting secondary patterns and might be interesting to quilt those areas in designs. You have the long diamond shapes where the background colors meet and then when four blocks meet in the center there is another design. Everything is not meeting up exactly perfect I have found as I am putting them together but well enough that secondary designs will work out fine. Linking to Esther’s Quilt Blog today.
Seeing as I didn’t have anything else to blog about today I thought I would share the quilt that is currently on the bed – I thought it was time to change quilts out – I had the Quilty 365 Quilt the Final Frontier on the bed all winter and it was time for a change. This quilt is huge – it didn’t shrink like I like them too and I had allowed for that!! I used black quilter’s dream batting in it – and I didn’t realize it at the time (just wasn’t thinking) that it is something 80/20 polyester/cotton – it didn’t shrink – I was so disappointed. This quilt is my own design – I did use a Mariner’s compass pattern from some where and the “ribbon” around the compass is from Judy Niemeyer’s pattern Twisted Star – which I made several years previously. So there are parts of two patterns incorporated into a new look.
Hand quilted of course! I made this 10 years ago. Although I do not like paper piecing I did use that method for the center compass and the corner compass stars.Although it doesn’t show up I used red thread but I wished afterwards that I had used a thicker thread so it would stand out better. Two different kinds of black fabric used, the center is a print on print and the outer borders are a solid black which I do not like as it collects lint and dust like crazy and so this quilt just doesn’t get used as often as I would like because I get tired of cleaning it. (just checked as someone was asking me about this quilt – finished the last stitch in December 2008 – 9 years ago)