Like I thought it was a very chilly day yesterday and the wind didn’t make it feel any warmer and it was cloudy – when you go from capris and sandals to jeans, sweat shirt and socks you know it is chilly. The heat was back on last night and will be for three nights probably.
First off I took care of the next hexie border for Handful of Scraps. I was asked again why not do it all hexies for the border and why bother to be sewing this to border strips. If I did all hexies it would mean cutting out thousand’s more hexies which would all need to be hand stitched together as this is EPP and that is the reason why! I did this border the same way I did the previous which you can see several post back if you didn’t see it. By centering my border on these strips it will eliminate a lot of tedious work – I like the appearance of those that are all hexies – but I want to get done with it in this lifetime and not have it be put aside for months on end because I tire of it – this way I could possibly finish it this year!!
Last border I was having a lot of trouble with my right hand squeezing the glue bottle – the arthritis has been acting up and I happened to think why not use a paint brush instead of squeezing – awhile back I had picked up a small pack of various craft sizes so I looked and I had a small one to use. I poured a little glue into a tiny bathroom size paper cup and it worked out great – just try to not get a lot on the brush so you don’t over load with glue. That side got done a lot faster than the first one did so I will keep doing it this way – much easier on the hand.
Next up was cutting more of the flannel for Murrieta Stars– all I needed out of these 3 strips of yellow was 8 – 2.5 inch squares from each strip look at all that was left over.
I did get a little more worried when I was working on this piece but in the end there was plenty – out of the 2.5 yard piece I had about 23 inches left over. I made several mistakes and could have kicked myself – one strip I cut a quarter inch too much off and had to put it aside and then I don’t remember what but I know I made a second mistake in cutting also. But in the end I had this left over piece and the small pieces next to it.
The stack at the back with the brighter small pieces on it is all left over!! All the pieces with the white notes are cut for the quilt. Some of the tannish/yellow have to be quartered or halved still but I will do that as I need to I think. One more big piece of fabric left for this quilt and it will make the long border strips and setting triangles 6 yard piece was included.
Almost done with this side of the Postage Stamp quilt for the final row – will start working on the other side of that row sometime today or night.