We have had quite a few rainy days lately and it rained off and on all day yesterday – the front yard is flooded once again in the usual spot as are two more areas – one being all the way around the garden so it will be a couple days before I venture down to see how things have grown. Thankfully after today we are to have about 5 or 6 days of sun! thank goodness. Although I am not in the Arkansas flood area I have more than I need on the area in front of the workshop. This water is from just 3/4’s of an inch of rain so you can picture how wet the ground already was. All this water comes from run off from the road, there is a bit of a ditch that runs alongside the property and it runs down here. Most times it is not much of a problem – just when we have had days of rain.
I decided to get Handful of Scraps spread back out over the table and get to work on the 3rd border. Now this border and the next are harder than the first two because I need to miter the borders. I really have no set way of doing this as this is the first hexie quilt or quilt of any kind that I am doing this way. I started by ironing a line on the border like I did on the first two an inch from the end and centering the top as I did the last time. Glue basting and then the corners I folded under – these are not cut or sewn at this time I am still getting the hexies glued in place at this time – but this is the miter line pinned so I can get the applique finished. I will baste this line and take the pins out so I will have an easier time with the stitching.
This lines happened to match up very closely and this was just a coincidence. I really didn’t expect that they would match this closely. I will try to center this on the table better so that I can make sure the fabric is folded accurately before I baste it.
Here are my heavy pieces holding it in place while the glue dries. Yes the flannel quilt is just hanging over the chair edge for now, Mike’s hours have been changed this week and he is working nights and sleeping days so I am not using the machine this week as I am trying to be fairly quite so he can sleep – we have a small house so that is hard to do! I hope to finish the border next week when he is back to regular hours and I can be as loud as I want to be.
The other corner done the same way. So next up is to baste the miter corners in place – stitch them down and then applique the row of hexies to the border.
Five of the baskets are appliqued out of the 7 that I had prepped to go with the first group that I had done a couple months ago. The baskets applique down very quickly I find – I think it takes about 20-30 minutes or so for each basket.