It finally came time to cut some more 2.5 inch squares to mix in with what I had – most of what was left were kind of drab – needed some brighter pieces to blend in. I have some stacks of 7 inch squares and I took one bundle (42 pieces) and got the AccuQuilt out and got busy. It was time to practice with the strip cutter I got awhile ago (and by the way thank you to whoever it was that used my links on the side bar and place a large order to accuquilt – I do appreciate the commission from that).
This strip cutter is long- I place 3 sections of squares over the die cutter in stacks of six pieces each – put the mat over the top – you can see I will have 2 inches left along the sides – those will be cut into more squares for the 2 inch box that I have that needs to be filled up – I pretty much emptied it a couple months back with another scrap quilt.
Here is a different color but I wanted you to see how it works – I pulled apart slightly so you can see the clean line
Pick up each strip and turn it the opposite way – now I line the cutter up with pieces going this direction and then make another run through the machine.
Again I pulled slightly apart so you can see what the pieces are now – 2.5 inch squares – the pieces that were left over as scrap were cut down into 2 inch squares and 1.5 inch squares depending on if I lined them up just slightly off or if they were cut slightly off – all the scraps were used to make more for the scrap boxes – just a tiny bit of scraps was left – too tiny to use – see the little pile – it was slightly bigger when I got done but not much.
Two more big blocks done and five more to make – I just kind of ran out of energy yesterday as I was doing a little bit of garden work late in the day after the rain stopped and had run out to do grocery shopping in between rain storms.
A few more pieces added to Granny’s Gone Crazy while watching tv in the evening – I think I made about 25 pieces and now taking a break from that and stitching to the body.
Finally some yellow summer squash growing – I was beginning to think it wasn’t going to but drop all the blossoms instead, have a few zucchini started as well – now they will probably do so well I won’t be able to use them all.