What do you use to store fat quarters? While I was storing fabric in the bedroom in big plastic storage boxes I could tell it was not going to work once things got moved back to the sewing room. Even though they will fit in the space that will be for fabric–the bins are too heavy for me to be lifting off shelves that are above my head which some of them are. Also the shelves are deep – if I laid the fabric directly on the shelves there would be several rows and that wouldn’t work I would constantly have to move stacks of fabric. I had to come up with a better solution – plastic shoe boxes. Fat Quarters can be folded so many different ways – the way I like them folded comes out to a measurement of 4 x 5. Most of my fabric that I am currently working with are fat quarters and scraps – I have some 5 inch charms and some jelly rolls plus yardage but for now all those fit on the shelves that are right by the bedroom door going into the hallway which goes right into the sewing room and that is where they will be staying for now.
My way of folding fat quarters
See how full the big bins are – a lot of the fabric pieces are larger than a fat quarter but can be folded close to the same way and some are smaller than a fat quarter – I will adjust the folding as I need to.
First off before I put in the photo of the sewing room I almost didn’t because it is really hard to get an idea of what a redo will look like when so much of it has tools and things scattered throughout. Some parts of walls are not totally varnished and some have none on them at all. It is hard I think to picture. So disregard all the tools and maybe you can get an idea of what it will look like.
One side of the sewing room that is still under construction – all of the flooring still needs to be laid but some of the walls still need varnish so flooring will not be done until the walls are done. Doing it that way eliminates the need to cover the floor. This end used to be a closet that Mike kept all of his old computer books and genealogy things in – all the way across – one section now has 3 shelves. Mike’s computer table will be on the right side in the corner where it always was but will start 3 feet into where the closet was. A new ceiling fan is up, track lighting with dimmer switches – plenty of light! Ceiling is done and the electrical – still working on the pine panels, varnish and then the floor. We are both getting new work tables and the table tops need to be varnished as well. Also a new window shade needs to be bought and put in. The design wall will be on the same wall it was on but about a foot wider covering the whole wall now that the book shelves are off the wall.
So many of you wanted to see progress well that is all I can show of it for now – small room and lots of tools taking up space for now – I will show more when I can – but might not until everything is organized again. It will still be awhile before we are done because of the hours Mike is working but I hope to be in the room by fall and considering this is the first day of August that is coming up. Needless to say the room will look much better once the hand quilting frame is standing back in it’s place with new leaders attached and a new quilt top in place – a new longer cutting table will be in place and the sewing machine table – the room is long and narrow so not much can be changed of arrangement – but it will be a bit different without old dirty carpet and all the shelves on the walls.
At Wal-Mart I found stacks of 10 shoe boxes for under $9 with lids – the fat quarters will fit in these and I can get quite a few of these boxes on the shelves and can see the color group through the boxes –they will be organized by color. Hopefully I have room for batting and other things on the shelves as well. I will need to get more boxes but I want to start going through one box of fabric at a time and then keep getting more as I need them.
These are the boxes to go through!
The bounty from the garden yesterday – I was going to leave the tomatoes to ripen longer on the vine but when I went out to look I found one plant of Roma’s were getting bottom rot on some so I picked any that had a hint of orange and before that happened and tossed the others. Then I found a little bite out of one big tomato and thought well maybe I might just as well pick anything that was a little orange and let them ripen in the house.